Author Topic: Best sauces  (Read 5413 times)

Offline Vinda looo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Best sauces
« on: December 29, 2006, 01:16 PM »
Anybody know anywhere I can order some good restaurant style curries from. Mainly vindaloo and madras sauces. I live in Peterlee England and there are no good Indian Takeaways or restaurants in my area.

Thanks

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Best sauces
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 03:43 PM »
Try google.co.uk! I just typed in 'curry sauces' and up came:

http://www.madhuban.co.uk/

There are no doubt others further down the list but I doubt if they taste anywhere near as good as from a good BIR. Then there's the high cost, too.  You'd almost certainly be better off trying some of the recipes found here.

Good luck

Regards
George

Offline Vinda looo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 04:37 PM »
Thanks George much appreciated I might order some. I have tried numerous recipes but they never turn out like what you get from takeaways or restaurants and theres nothing worse than when youve been looking forward to cooking your own curry and then waiting in anticipation for that first taster,  only to discover its turned out awfull, I think I would waste more money keep trying, it also gets me in a very bad mood for the rest of the night.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 09:47 PM »
V

Ah, but have you tried any of the recipes from this web site? Forget recipes in books like Pat Chapman's and The Curry Secret. The best recipes are found here. I suggest starting with one or two of the following, as I see them as more foolproof than anything involving a base sauce and 'stage 2' curry concoction:

I suggest two recipes which have worked well for me:

Blade1212's chicken tikka
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,874.0.html

Darth's Darbari rice (like pilau rice)
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=498.0

Do read the entire thread in each case for updates and comments.

Regards
George

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 08:14 AM »
Hi Vinda loo
                   There was an advert on the opening cr0 page
Bradford curries, from January

http://www.realbradfordcurry.com/

Offline Vinda looo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 04:33 PM »
Thanks Haldi. Actually the more Ive been looking araound this site, the more I want to make my own. After having read about the base sauces and how you can acheive some success I might just be able to conjour something up. Looking at some of the members photos of their dishes proves that you can get very close if not exactl to restaurant style.

Offline Vinda looo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 06:50 PM »
I forgot to mention is their anywhere on this site where I can do a base sauce without doing a full pan, something as a sample. Every base sauce recipe appears to use so many onions and oil that if I make a mistake it would be a complete waste. What Im saying is how can I make up a smaller version to sample the taste first, then proceed to the more normal size bases. 

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 01:16 PM »

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 03:01 PM »
hi vindaloo
you could try my posting of my locals curry sauce Rajver i use it all the time and get fab results it only uses 4 onions  and only takes an hour to cook from start to finish and if you follow this recipe for a madras

3 tbsp veg oil
1tbsp fine chopped onion
1tbsp tomato paste/puree
1tsp salt
1tbsp garlic ginger puree
1tsp rajah curry powder
a pinch of garam masala(rajah)
a pinch of methi leaves
1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1tsp lemon juice
a portion of precooked chicken( boiled in water with salt 1/2tsp 1/2 tsp turmeric for max 10 minutes)
1-2tsp fresh corinader (1tsp to put in dish 1tsp to garnish)
2 1/4 tomatoes
3 ladles of curry sauce

heat oil add onion cook till softened add garlic/ginger puree fry for 30 seconds. then add tom puree ,salt , curry powder, chilli , garam masala, methi stir for 30 seconds add 1 ladle of curry sauce cook for 1 minute add the chicken, lemon juice and 2 more ladles cook for 5 minutes stirring all the time add 1 tsp coriander stir in add the tomato 1/4s remove from heat garnish with remainder of the coriander  and serve

if you cook your rice first and whilst it is drying out in the low oven it will be done to perfection in 1 1/2 hours ( time to cook the curry sauce, the chicken and the madras)

i just measure out 1 tea cup or rice wash till the water runs clear, put in a bowl you can cover ( and microwavable) put in 1 1/2 tsp of veg oil mix to coat all the grains of rice then using the same cup you measured the rice with use 2 cups of water to cover the rice and stir before putting it in the microwave for 5 minutes on high remove and stir put back in the microwave for another 5 minutes on high once done place imediately in the warm oven stir after 20 minutes then every 20 mins until grains have separated when done it should still look fluffy but not stuck together
and there it is
many friends have been astonished at the results hope you will be too

regards
gary ;)

Offline Vinda looo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 05:19 PM »
Thanks Gary thats just what Im after and I am going to give it a go. I shall let you know how I get on probably next weekend.

©2024 Curry Recipes