Author Topic: Proper vegetable Samosa recipe  (Read 2199 times)

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Proper vegetable Samosa recipe
« on: September 14, 2016, 04:48 PM »
Hi,

does anyone have a recipe for some proper vegetable samosas? I tried a recipe I saw in a video and it was no good. I do actually like the frozen ones you can buy (with potato, peas and sometimes carrot) and am trying to replicate something similar to them.

Any feedback much appreciated!

Offline redman1212

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Proper vegetable Samosa recipe
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 08:48 AM »
There are various recipes on the forum but I found these in the Guardian which were pretty good

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2015/nov/26/how-to-make-the-perfect-samosas

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 07:20 PM »
Thanks, I'll try them!

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 12:43 AM »
Hey StoneCut!

Did you try the recipes?

I prefer the very simple versions, which you'll often find freshly made in bigger indian supermarkets here in Germany. Often, these only include potatoes, no peas and can be quite spicey. Do you know these? The filling is brownish. Vidhu Mittal's recipe pretty much nails it for me. It calls for 400g parboiled, coarsely mashed potatoes. Heat up 1 Tbsp oil and add a good pinch of hing, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp ginger paste and 1 tsp green chili paste, the potatoes and mix well. add 3 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp amchoor powder, 1 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala powder, a generous pinch of salt and 2 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Let it cook for 5 minutes at low heat while stirring from time to time. Remove from heat and let it cool. Makes about 20 fillings.

If you're looking out for a cinnamon-y and sweeter version (one of my favourite places serves them just like that), I recommend trying out Raghavan Iyer's "Punjabi Garam Masala" as Samosa Masala. He goes crazy with the cinnamon there  ;D The recipe calls for:

1 Tbsp coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon black cardamom seeds
3 cinnamon sticks, each 7-8 cm long, broken into smaller pieces
3 fresh or dried bay leaves

Dry roast everything for approx. 1-2 minutes over medium heat until fragrant, Let everything cool down. Grind up and store airtight.

Cheers!  :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 01:00 AM by chonk »

©2024 Curry Recipes