Author Topic: Chicken Tikka Shahee  (Read 19553 times)

Offline JennyLou90

• Chef
    • View Profile
Chicken Tikka Shahee
« on: September 30, 2016, 12:16 PM »
Hi,

Im sorry if this has already been requested, but i can't seem to find it.

I am looking for a recipe for a BIR Chicken Tikka Shahee, it is my other halves favourite dish from our local and i was hoping to find a recipe to replicate this for him. The dish is described as Chicken Tikka with minced Lamb & spices (medium/hot).

If anyone has any ideas that would be great!

Thanks
Jen

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka Shahee
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 01:06 PM »
Try this video Jen, should be close to what you're after seeing as they're only up the road from you.  ;)

https://youtu.be/Uc8CcJqNYfc

Offline JennyLou90

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 01:16 PM »
Oh my goodness! If this is close to ours (where is it filmed btw?) Tim will love you!!! Ill have to cook this next week when i finish my nights :D
Thank you so much!

Jen
Try this video Jen, should be close to what you're after seeing as they're only up the road from you.  ;)

https://youtu.be/Uc8CcJqNYfc

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 11:07 PM »
What's that bowl of pink stuff at 5:50...some sort of kebab mix?

Offline JennyLou90

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 04:20 PM »
Im not sure, it doesn't say on the video- certain looks that way though!

I made the Shahee last night - I was pleased but the mince was too 'lamb' for me , not like our local. As daft as that sounds... Im usually a hater of lamb so much so the smell of it cooking knocks me sick. However, i can eat the Shahee from the local fine as it doesn't have the distinct lamb taste- I wonder if it is prepared differently?

Jen

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 04:48 PM »
I very much fear that it doesn't smell of lamb because it has little or no lamb in it.  Beef mince (or worse) is much cheaper than lamb mince, and it is not unknown for restaurants to substitute it.  A well-known BIR in Hildenborough most certainly had done so on the one and only occasion that we went there -- never again, for obvious reasons.

** Phil
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 05:37 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 05:34 PM »
I have to agree with Phil. If it doesn't taste like lamb it's because there's little lamb in it which sort of negates the point of making it in the first place. Most of the lamb lovers on the forum want more of that lamb flavour and that's often harder to emulate.

Offline JennyLou90

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 07:46 PM »
Thanks Gents,

I wasn't sure if it was something to do with the prep of the lamb that meant it hadn't the string taste- to be perfectly honest i'd be quite happy to use beef mince (due my dislike of lamb) but wanted to try and keep it 'authentic'.

Jen

Im not sure, it doesn't say on the video- certain looks that way though!

I made the Shahee last night - I was pleased but the mince was too 'lamb' for me , not like our local. As daft as that sounds... Im usually a hater of lamb so much so the smell of it cooking knocks me sick. However, i can eat the Shahee from the local fine as it doesn't have the distinct lamb taste- I wonder if it is prepared differently?

Jen

I very much fear that it doesn't smell of lamb because it has little or no lamb in it.  Beef mince (or worse) is much cheaper than lamb mince, and it is not unknown for restaurants to substitute it.  A well-known BIR in Hildenborough most certainly had done so on the one and only occasion that we went there -- never again, for obvious reasons.

** Phil

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 09:39 AM »
Oh my goodness! If this is close to ours (where is it filmed btw?) Tim will love you!!! Ill have to cook this next week when i finish my nights :D
Thank you so much!

Jen

Premier curries, Burnley.

Offline JennyLou90

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 12:44 PM »
Hey
Yeah not too far then-  it turned out well but the lamb still had the 'lamb' taste so I think I will boil next time. I can usually at lamb mince from the takeaway but still tasted too strong of lamb for me!

Jen

quote author=DalPuri link=topic=14552.msg127566#msg127566 date=1475829554]
Thank you so much!

Jen

Premier curries, Burnley.
[/quote]

©2024 Curry Recipes