Author Topic: 2nd Curry- Chicken Tikka Shahee  (Read 2866 times)

Offline JennyLou90

• Chef
    • View Profile
2nd Curry- Chicken Tikka Shahee
« on: October 04, 2016, 04:28 PM »
This is the second curry I have made using the recipes I've found on this site.

I used CA's curry base, spiced oil and spice mix. I think the Tikka was his recipe as well- although couldn't find powdered colouring anywhere? The recipe for the shahee was one on youtube as there doesn't seem to be one here!!

I was very pleased with it, although, I don't like lamb as a rule - but can usually eat it fine from our local - and this tasted too 'lamby' for me. I wonder if they prepare the lab different? I fried it before adding to the curry.

Jen

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Curry- Chicken Tikka Shahee
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 05:43 PM »
I wonder if they prepare the lab different? I fried it before adding to the curry.

It may be that precooking by boiling it as in the keema peas recipe will reduce the lambiness as you're cooking the flavour out of it and into the water. That and cutting the lamb mince with beef or (heaven forfend) pork mince. Never tried this myself as I want the eact opposite, I want more lamb flavour and I find I get this by putting the frozen lamb mince straight into the sauce to cook, no prefrying or boiling. That way all the flavour is retained.

Offline JennyLou90

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 07:49 PM »
I can definitely give this a go Secret Santa! Wound mind trying a keema recipe either- I lived with a guy at uni that did keema all the time and it was lovely but never actually watched him make it!

Jen

I wonder if they prepare the lab different? I fried it before adding to the curry.

It may be that precooking by boiling it as in the keema peas recipe will reduce the lambiness as you're cooking the flavour out of it and into the water. That and cutting the lamb mince with beef or (heaven forfend) pork mince. Never tried this myself as I want the eact opposite, I want more lamb flavour and I find I get this by putting the frozen lamb mince straight into the sauce to cook, no prefrying or boiling. That way all the flavour is retained.

Offline redman1212

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 09:55 AM »
Hi JennyLou90 - like you I'm pretty new here.

I found powdered food colouring on ebay, there are plenty of companies selling but I bought from this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/151061617078?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=28306099746&rlsatarget=pla-184492173426&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=1006764&device=c&campaignid=628859225&crdt=0

hey presto nicely coloured CTM and shish kebabs. It doesn't affect the flavour, so some people prefer not to use food colouring but it does ad an appeal to a dish. I'm currently trying to 'shift a few pounds' so laying off the curries but as Arnie once said 'I'll be back'

Offline JennyLou90

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 11:52 AM »
Hi redman,

Thanks for that- I shall have a look next pay day! Ive already spent around ?30 on ingredients and I had a lot of them in! haha.
Yeah I think Im definitely going to have to get back in the gym with these curries!

Jen

Hi JennyLou90 - like you I'm pretty new here.

I found powdered food colouring on ebay, there are plenty of companies selling but I bought from this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/151061617078?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=28306099746&rlsatarget=pla-184492173426&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=1006764&device=c&campaignid=628859225&crdt=0

hey presto nicely coloured CTM and shish kebabs. It doesn't affect the flavour, so some people prefer not to use food colouring but it does ad an appeal to a dish. I'm currently trying to 'shift a few pounds' so laying off the curries but as Arnie once said 'I'll be back'

Offline redman1212

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 09:44 AM »
?30 on extra ingredients but think how many curries that will produce compared with what you would get in a TA or restaurant for ?30  8)

Offline JennyLou90

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 08:38 PM »
Yeah I've already made three in a week, and Im off for two weeks from monday- so will no doubt do a few more! :D

Jen

?30 on extra ingredients but think how many curries that will produce compared with what you would get in a TA or restaurant for ?30  8)

©2024 Curry Recipes