Author Topic: Looking to buy a tawa  (Read 2609 times)

Offline redman1212

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Looking to buy a tawa
« on: October 17, 2016, 10:02 AM »
I'm visiting Birmingham at the weekend (22nd) to visit family and friends and whilst there I hope to visit a few Asian shops for supplies and to pick up a tawa. I've been after one for a while for making my chapattis and I'd like a crack at making naans - unfortunately there are no decent Asian shops near where I live (rural Lincolnshire). Can anyone recommend somewhere to shop? My family are based in the north of the city but I guess there are loads of places in the south (Sparkhill, Sparkbrook..) and I don't mind a drive around

thanks

RM

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to buy a tawa
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 10:20 AM »
If your going to Sparkbrook then Uncle's Home Store on Ladypool Road is your best bet for all that kind of cookware. They also sell the original balti dishes (the ones you can cook in that all the local balti houses use) which are now in very limited supply. There's some great shops for spices along there too such as Raja Brothers.

Personally speaking. I once bought a tawa and found that my naans burnt stuck to it and never really got into it. The best thing I've ever used, for a number of reasons, is a large De Buyer B Element frying pan. Far superior to a tawa in my opinion but that is just my experience.

MM

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 01:19 PM »
Try these
J.Kays 157 - 161 Soho Road,
Handsworth,
Birmingham
B21 9SU
0121 551 1404

Offline redman1212

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 08:47 AM »
Thanks MM and UF. I'm a brummie by birth but moved away 20~ years ago so I'm a bit out of touch with what's where. You advice will save me some aimless wandering ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes