Author Topic: Restaurant Base Sample  (Read 9150 times)

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Restaurant Base Sample
« on: November 21, 2016, 12:28 AM »
I went to a new curry house on Saturday night. It was quiet at the end of the night and before asking for the bill I asked the waiter if I could buy a portion of base gravy. (This is my new standard thing when going for a curry. Not asking is a wasted learning opportunity in my book!). Anyway, he was a bit surprised so I explained a bit about my fascination with restaurant style curry and we got chatting... Anyway to cut a long story short, after a lengthy bit of banter I got a bit more cheeky and asked him if it was also possible to get a bit of mix powder to try which he agreed to. He didn't even end up charging me any extra for them!  8)

Anyway I got my treasures home for analysis and although there are probably no major game changers to some, I thought I'd share my findings anyhow.

The base is quite watery with a small amount of oil on top. The flavour of onions is obviously there but it's not as dominate as you'd think. It's more "vegetably" than "oniony". A flavour a bit like a vegetable soup stock which I was surprised by, and well seasoned with salt. The spicing was also very light, the only discernible flavour being cumin.

Also they didn't seem too thorough about the blending. Loads of whole capsicum seeds, veg fibres, bits of carrot, odd bit of rice etc.

No base recipe I've ever tried has had that level of "veggie" flavour. It's something I'm going to work on to try to recreate at some point.

The mix powder was very standard in smell and appearance. The dominant aroma, again being cumin, but very similar to most. Although quite red compared to some of mine.

I've froze the base as I'm saving it for best lol. Can't wait to putting it and the powder through its paces. There was certainly nothing wrong with the murgh capsila and biryani sauce we ordered that was made from it!

Can anybody else relate to the veggie stock flavour I'm talking about?

MM

littlechilie

Re: Restaurant Base Sample
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 02:15 PM »
Hi MM, well done and what a great feeling to have broken the ice with your restaurant. On the base i can relate to this. Infact early this year I ordered a curry off online (Just Eat). The restaurant I use is called spice inn, I ordered use often here but on this day my vindaloo tasted like Vegetables stock. It also had roughly blended veg and i could to much taste the veg stock. After the takeaway was eaten i left a bad review as i could only put it down the the restaurant being not properly open when my order came through and using undercooked base. After seeing your post if rang my bell, but i vegetables stock was strong like celery, onions, carots, maybe even vegetables bulion..
Good luck.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 06:17 PM »
I have had base samples from many places. The good ones are depressingly good, in as much that I couldn't copy them. At one time  I thought that they used an odd vegetable, because there was a vegetable taste that I couldn't work out.
It wasn't until I made JB's base, that I managed to get the flavour. It was more about the tarka stage than anything else. That and  boiling the gravy after you add it. Basically it's the garlic.Please post any findings really interested and happy to eat my words!
But I know exactly what you mean by a vegetable stock

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 08:25 PM »
well done on getting a sample of gravy.Like Pete I've managed to get quite a few samples of gravy myself,I've got a few funny looks as well when I've asked,it's as if the concept of a general curry base is some sort of secret that I really shouldn't know about.The thing is,most of the samples have been quite similar in appearance and taste. There was one sample I got though that absolutely blew me away,it tasted incredible,it had a deep savoury taste that I've never been able to duplicate.It knocked my confidence in my cooking abilities,however after watching the chef cook in my takeaway for the past year or so knocking out superb curries (and tasting his mildly spiced base) I think technique plays a major part as well as having a decent base.

I've now got a work mate into the curry cooking bug,he brought in a sample of his base he made(the first takeaway one with the garlic Tarka),have to say it tasted wonderful.It's in my fridge at the moment,I'm using it later this week but It tastes so good I can't resist having a spoonful now and then!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 09:13 PM »
Also they didn't seem too thorough about the blending. Loads of whole capsicum seeds, veg fibres, bits of carrot, odd bit of rice etc.

That set me thinking. You do have to wonder just how much of the unfinished customers' curries find their way back into the base sauce when no one is looking? Maybe more so in the old days than now? Who knows. The chefs certainly aren't going to tell!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 09:21 PM »
I've got a few funny looks as well when I've asked,it's as if the concept of a general curry base is some sort of secret that I really shouldn't know about.

I think that's purely down to embarassment rather than any real desire to keep the base secret. They'd like us to believe that every curry is hand crafted with totally fresh ingredients and not just a formulaic veg broth + extras.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 09:52 PM »

That set me thinking. You do have to wonder just how much of the unfinished customers' curries find their way back into the base sauce when no one is looking? Maybe more so in the old days than now? Who knows. The chefs certainly aren't going to tell!
None! Aren't they breakfast the next day?

Or are there punters who need to be taken out and shot come the BIR revoution?! Wasting gear like that.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 12:31 AM »
I have had base samples from many places. The good ones are depressingly good, in as much that I couldn't copy them.

There was one sample I got though that absolutely blew me away,it tasted incredible,it had a deep savoury taste that I've never been able to duplicate.It knocked my confidence in my cooking abilities,

Yes there is a sense that everything you've learnt about making a base is not quite the full story when you've seen the real thing first hand. I had one other sample and that was also very different from my own creations. The curry I made from it was a lot better than what I could make from my own bases. Depressing!  :'(

Anyway I've drafted a veggie base recipe. I might knock it up for a bit of fun if this sample turns out to make a decent madras.  :)

MM

littlechilie

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 02:06 PM »
Hi MM,

Wishing you well on your creativity, but have you tried going back to the source of your base and explaining your quest. They may just write down the recipe for you with an explanation.
I have found this the easiest way for information, im sure if you go back of house you will be suprised at the mess of dirty pots and flip flop wearing cheff.
Most establishments are not like HapyChris's video's openhouse and spotless kitchen, personality my preference is for a dirty back of house curry from a non English speaking flip flop wearing Chef.
Keepus us posted ...

Ps, wait till there all kicking there heals before going in.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 02:27 PM »
...their flip-flopping heels, presumably  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes