Author Topic: Nann Bread  (Read 3617 times)

Offline zzikester

• Chef
    • View Profile
Nann Bread
« on: March 01, 2005, 08:30 PM »
Ok, now its the turn of the Naan bread.....there has got to be an easy recipe that is used in restaurants..i cant believe that they use a mass of ingredients and rise the dough for hours etc......I appreciat ethat not having a tandoor will make a diference but almost every naan bread I have made turns out to a scone consistency instead of the doughy gorgeousness of the curry house. Someone please indulge me here?
 :-\

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Nann Bread
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 02:46 AM »
Naan Bread -  Original recipe yield: 6 good-sized pieces.

INGREDIENTS:
?   2/3 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
?   1 teaspoon active dry yeast
?   1 teaspoon white sugar
?   2 cups all-purpose flour
?   1 teaspoon salt
?   1/4 cup ghee
?   2 tablespoons plain yogurt
?   2 teaspoons kalonji (onion seed)
DIRECTIONS:
1.   Whisk the warm water with the yeast and sugar until the yeast is dissolved. Cover and let stand in a warm place for 10 minutes.
2.   Sift flour and salt three times into a large bowl add the yeast mixture, half of the ghee and all the yogurt. Mix into a soft dough then knead on a floured surface for about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover and let stand in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours or until the dough is doubled in size .
3.   Punch down dough then knead for 5 minutes. Divide dough into 6 pieces. Roll each piece out into 8 inch round naans.
4.   Cover an oven tray with foil and grease the foil. Brush the naan with a little of the remaining ghee and sprinkle with some of the kalonji. Cook naan one at a time under a very hot grill for about 2 minutes on each side or until puffed and just browned.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 08:32 AM »
Have a look at the attached.

cK

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 05:24 PM »
Hi , Zzikester
This is the recipe that has? been given to me by a top chef .They never use yeast in authentic  Nan bread, they use some thing like sourdough and not much of it , the Indian chefs call it? Kamera
It can live for ever and it will not die unless you don't feed it , it is an active living thing.
You need to make it once? in your live ,you don't need to make it every time you make Nan? bread.
It is a little bit difficult ,but remember you need only to make it once.
If you don't make Nan in a daily bases then it will die and you need to start again.
Her is the recipe for Kamera :
100g of live yogurt ( please use the one from the Indian stores because it is really alive ).
50g sugar (any? kind? ) i once used mild honey and it was fine.
25g plain white flour
25g wholemeal flour ( please don't substitute any other kind of flour ,only wholemeal flour ,other wise it will not work, i made this mistake before )
Mix all the above together very well? cover and leave in a temperature of 30 C degree.until it rise and fill the bowl. I don't know how you are going to get this temperature her in the U.K, i will leave it to you to figure it out . It is very easy in the restaurant kitchen because it is very hot in there .
I made mine? while i was in a holiday? abroad (it was very hot) and brought it? back with me her to the U.K.
this is it .
Now to make the dough:
100ml? warm milk
25g sugar or mild honey
100g yogurt
100g true? butter ghee? melted
1 tea spoon salt.
0.25 tea spoon ground fennel
0.25 tea spoon whole black onion seeds (kelonji )
The Kamera from above
Mix very well then add as much? plain flour as it take to make a dough
You can add extra warm milk or flour .
Cover and leave to rise until it is doubled.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?..................................................................................

This is the most important bit if you forget to do it you will start making the Kemera again from the beginning,please be careful.

TAKE AT LEAST? 75g? OF THIS DOUGH AND PUT IN A WELL COVERED CONTAINER AND PUT IN THE REFRIGERATOR FOR YOUR NEXT PATCH OF NAN BREAD.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?.............. ...................................................................................................

Then cut the rest of the dough into Nan shape and bake in a tandor? (this what they told me ) but try a very very hot oven? with the tray heated inside the oven as well, be very careful when you handle the hot tray.

Some points? :
Some restaurants? use 100g eggs , (but after they take the piece of the KEMARA out? and put in the refrigerator)? , then of course they will add more flour because they added liquid (eggs) to the dough
Eggs will make a very very soft dough ,i tried it my self .
Some restaurants add baking powder as well but you don't kneed it if your Kemara is really active alive and kicking.
The Kemara need to be really alive before? you use it, it can take from 12to 24 hours to rise in a30C degree .It will smell very nice it will smell of Nan bread,if it doesnot smell nice please don't use it through it away and start again with a very very clean bowl, please don't use your hands to mix the ingredients for the Kemara use a metal spoon after you washed it throughly.
Please don't get poision ed be very careful.

I have different kinds of stuffing for Nan, from sweet to savory
Please let me know and i will post it.
I hope i helped
Thanks
ghanna

« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 07:07 PM by ghanna »

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 07:15 PM »
Hi,All
There are different recipes for Nan.
one use baking powder and bicarbonate of soda as a leavening agents
Another one  use yeast as a leavening agent.
Another one use Kamera ( sourdough ) as in the above thread.

Please let me know if you do want the recipes for the other two
Thanks
ghanna

©2024 Curry Recipes