Author Topic: Why the curry house is declining  (Read 14112 times)

Offline scalexkid

• Chef
    • View Profile
Why the curry house is declining
« on: January 15, 2017, 09:21 PM »
I don't normally read the Guardian, but was looking for advice about Persimmons (Sharon Fruit) actually and this caught my eye.

You may or may not agree with the ideas inside, this is the Guardian after all, but gives some insights as to what some contributors have opinions on.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jan/12/who-killed-the-british-curry-house

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Why the curry house is declining
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 04:27 PM »
I had already seen this but got bored with the usual whiney nonsense from the trade that they have to have staff from Bangladesh or wherever or they just can't run their businesses. It's just a ruse to get people easily into this country.

Unless of course we're to believe them when they say that the ever so complicated three-pot cooking style can't be mastered by native Brits? They even defeat their own argument by saying that their best non-Indian/Paksitani chefs are Europeans.

And that it takes up to ten years to learn how to master the Tandoor? Just how retarded are the people they normally employ?  ;D

Offline vinotinto

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 07:33 PM »
I agree SS.  Been meaning to write this for a while but I wonder why much is made of years of experience of spicing that Indian chefs have when in reality ,what they are cooking over here (generally) has little resemblance to traditional Indian dishes.  I believe any reasonably good cook can churn out decent Indian food

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 09:01 PM »
A really interesting article.

Thanks for posting.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 10:42 PM »
I had already seen this but got bored with the usual whiney nonsense from the trade that they have to have staff from Bangladesh or wherever or they just can't run their businesses. It's just a ruse to get people easily into this country.
You have a problem with people coming to this country to work, Santa ?
** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 06:05 AM »
You have a problem with people coming to this country to work....

I do, and that's one reason why I voted for Brexit, I regret supporting curry houses if the price paid by future generations is a population shift which means the UK eventually votes to become an Islamic State and, even if it doesn't, simply becomes far too overcrowded - like hell on earth - not unlike the country most of these people couldn't wait to leave.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 09:53 AM »
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, George, as is Santa; sadly I cannot respect you for holding such insular, xenophobic, views.  The vast majority of immigrants to this country have made a very significant contribution to its wealth, in terms of diversity, skills and cultural richness, and I for one welcome their many contributions to the society in which I am privileged to live.  We have, in London alone, restaurants representing the cuisine of almost every country in the world (certainly all those that are renowned for their cuisine) and none of these would or could exist had it not been possible for their founders and staff to migrate to this country in the past.  Many of the skilled workers on whose expertise and experience my health (and even life itself) depends -- doctors, surgeons, dentists, etc. -- are themselves former immigrants (they no longer describe themselves as such, since they are now British by adoption) and I am, of course, profoundly grateful that they made the decision to, and were allowed to, migrate here.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:36 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline dc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 04:46 PM »
Many of the skilled workers on whose expertise and experience my health (and even life itself) depends -- doctors, surgeons, dentists, etc. -- are themselves former immigrants (they no longer describe themselves as such, since they are now British by adoption) and I am, of course, profoundly grateful that they made the decision to, and were allowed to, migrate here.

But will the countries that all these surgeons, doctors, dentists etc are coming from ever make progress if richer counties like ours keep poaching them?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 04:54 PM »
But will the countries that all these surgeons, doctors, dentists etc are coming from ever make progress if richer counties like ours keep poaching them?
I don't feel  that we /have/ poached them, per se :  the vast majority of them /qualified/ in this country -- had they not migrated here in the first place, they might never have received the training that has enabled them to excel in their chosen professions.  And of course a large number come here to train and then return to serve their own people ...  But the question is nonetheless a valid one, IMHO.

** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 08:23 PM »
I do, and that's one reason why I voted for Brexit, I regret supporting curry houses if the price paid by future generations is a population shift which means the UK eventually votes to become an Islamic State and, even if it doesn't, simply becomes far too overcrowded - like hell on earth - not unlike the country most of these people couldn't wait to leave.

Got to laugh, George. No wonder you are an 'ex' moderator of a BIR curry-based forum when you hold such views.

I think you have been reading too many UKIP pamphlets shoved through your shed door.

©2024 Curry Recipes