Author Topic: Returning for trip to UK - Need Curry House recommendations!!!  (Read 4509 times)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Hi all - I will be back in the UK after many years away and am looking forward to enjoying good, old school British curries. From what I can gather the standard seems to be dropping, so I am reaching out to members to give me some recommendations.

I am so serious about this, that I can amend my itinerary to suit my curry quest.

I will be in London, Manchester, up the M4 corridor, the south east, the south west.

Looking forward to some recommendations. Thanks Gang!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Returning for trip to UK - Need Curry House recommendations!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 10:19 PM »
I really wish I knew, JA2K.  All I can say is that neither the Viraj in Bodmin nor the Raj in Wadebridge excited either my wife or me; we will not be returning to either.  It's a shame you aren't after some good Vietnamese/Chinese/Thai/French food, otherwise I could have recommended my wife's hotel in Bodmin !

** Phil.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 02:43 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 02:38 AM »
Thanks Phil!

Really no other suggestions? Wow standards must have gone downhill  :(

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 03:39 PM »
Hi Josh, Check your PM messages!

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 03:14 PM »
If in Manchester - try the Jai Kathmandu, Palatine Rd., Northenden.  Also Mughli Charcoal Pit, Wilmslow Rd, Rusholme.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 01:23 AM »
Thanks Ghoulie. I will be in Manchester for the Chelsea match on April 15th. Will try one of those!

Offline curryking83

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 11:12 AM »
I really like Gourmet Indian, its a small restaurant full of traditional curries also they accept gourmet card so you can get 20% off! from here http://www.wowfreestuff.co.uk/free-gourmet-society-card/

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 01:15 PM »
It will be hard to find "Gourmet Indian" if you do not disclose its location ...
**Phil.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 07:04 PM »
Hi all - I will be back in the UK after many years away and am looking forward to enjoying good, old school British curries. From what I can gather the standard seems to be dropping, so I am reaching out to members to give me some recommendations.

If you are in London look out for Lahore kebab house off Commercial Road, Tayyabs in Fielding Street used to be a banker but though a little disappointing last time would still be worth a visit, both of these started out serving traditional food to the local Asian community. Cinnamon Kitchen close to Liverpool Street and Cafe Spice Namaste are two of the more high end restaurants in the City/East End, whilst La Porte Des Indes close to Marble Arch is another one that may cause your wallet to take a hit. Aladdin in Brick Lane is purported to be very good by my work colleagues but I have not visited so cannot confirm.
T63

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 08:50 PM »
Ah yes, Lahore One -- I had forgotten that one.  But (IMHO) stick to the kebabs; they are out of this world, while the curries are (also IMHO) rubbish. And a Pakistani friend highly recommends Tayyabs.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes