Author Topic: Midweek curries Korma and Vindaloo  (Read 1958 times)

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Midweek curries Korma and Vindaloo
« on: January 29, 2017, 01:37 PM »
Made a small batch of base on Wednesday using 3 onions. It produced enough for 6 curries but I just made 2 the same day. Starting with my chicken korma and a vindaloo made without methi and coriander. My reason for cooking the vindaloo without methi and coriander was because of a recent takeaway I had that didn't have these ingredients in.

Chicken Korma

Chicken Vindaloo

As a comparison here is the takeaway I had

I have to say the flavours were similar but I imagine the differences are purely down to the variations in the base recipe, mix powders and souring ingredients. My version contained just pre-cooked chicken, boiled potato, G/G paste, tomato puree, mix powder, chilli powder, lemon dressing, base gravy and ketchup.

All the best

Rob 

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Midweek curries Korma and Vindaloo
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 11:56 PM »
The last curry I ordered out was a vindaloo. Pretty standard with the single token chunk of potato - except the potato tasted as if it had been pre-soaked in the vinegar before adding to the dish. Rather than adding the vinegar to the sauce. I've ordered a fair few vindaloos in my time but not came across that before.

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 02:18 AM »
Hello Mike. The vindaloo I had was a bit more generous with the potato and it certainly hadn't been soaked in vinegar beforehand. It was a very nice curry which is why I tried to replicate it. I did find a piece of cassia bark in it but apart from that there was nothing else in the sauce that I could identify and there was absolutely no coriander or methi leaves.

All the best

Rob   

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 10:41 PM »
It was really nice actually. So much so that the next curry I made was a vindaloo with vinegar soaked potato. Might try the ketchup though next time.

©2024 Curry Recipes