Author Topic: Favourite brand of rice?  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Nickywelsh

• Chef
    • View Profile
Favourite brand of rice?
« on: June 22, 2017, 10:56 PM »
Just wondering what everyones rice of choice is? Mine was Tilda, and although you tend to pay a premium, it was the only rice I found truly consistent in results. I say was...

Now i've moved to NZ the main brand on offer is Kings Choice, and although I initially liked the quite 'authentic/rustic' branding, it's actually a really low grade product. I pride myself on my rice (always get asked how I get it so perfect) but this stuff is just cr@p!

I've resorted to getting the loose basmati that my local organic shop sells. This is much better, but I find I need to soak it for a good 24 hours to get my desired results.

I'm thinking if I can get some names of other decent Basmati Rice products, I can see if they're available online here?

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite brand of rice?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 04:36 PM »
Currently using Laila brand basmati for curries and Tilda Everyday for everything else :)

Offline chickerell

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 12:24 PM »
Kamran Sella - when I can get hold of it. Real long grain basmati afghan / saudi style and being a sella rice less sticky.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 05:20 PM »
Hmmm.  I looked at their web site, and read their reviews.  They had three reviewers, and one name in particular leapt out :  "Nargis Chopan".  So, I did a search for this connoisseur of rice, and what did I find ?  Exactly one instance of his name is known to Google.  And where is that ?  On the Kamranrice site.  Should I be a little sceptical, do you think ?

** Phil.

Offline chickerell

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 05:34 AM »
Sorry, I wasn't pushing their wares! It's just the brand of rice I prefer, and I'm geeky about it. Always trying to get that longer grain basmati like in the "bukhari" or "kabsa" in saudi arabia. Maybe I should think more before my first forum post!!!

Cheers, Jez.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 07:13 AM »
It wasn't you of whom I was suspicious, Jez, it was Kamranrice.com.  Three rave reviews from three people with names that just didn't ring true with me:   "Sultan Khan", "Aisha Ahmed". and "Nargis Chopan",  Now these good folk may well exist, but my attempts to track them down as known connoisseurs of rice or even just as chefs led to a blank wall, and "Nargis Chopan" really does appear only to exists on Kamranrice's web site ...

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes