Author Topic: freezing and oil  (Read 6383 times)

Offline zzikester

• Chef
    • View Profile
freezing and oil
« on: March 03, 2005, 10:18 AM »
how long can base sauce be frozen for?  is all the oil scooped off before freezing? how long can you keep the curry oil from the top of your base sauce once you have scooped it into a bottle for later use?
So many questions...looking for words of wisdom.......

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: freezing and oil
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 10:24 AM »
how long can base sauce be frozen for? is all the oil scooped off before freezing? how long can you keep the curry oil from the top of your base sauce once you have scooped it into a bottle for later use?
So many questions...looking for words of wisdom.......

I usually freeze my base sauce in portions, enough for one or two Curries.? I use the little plastic pots you can get from any supermarket, then just defrost in micro before using.

I dont scoop of the oil before freezing, doesn't seem to be a problem

If i keep some in the fridge for a few days i just leave the oil floating on top of the sauce, i wouldn't scoop off and put in a bottle, although that now doesn't seem like a bad idea ;)

S

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 10:25 AM »
As far as im aware the oil and gravy will keep for as long as you need it, just don't freeze it while its still hot. ? I will freeze a whole batch and it will be used within a few weeks ?;D ?

I do now think though that the taste suffers a bit if you are using frozen gravy, the first couple of currys I made out of a fresh batch of gravy at the weekend were spot on. ?I made some sauces up last night and although nice were missing something and it could have been they way I cooked them but I think it was beacuse the gravy was frozen.

Offline PACMAN

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 02:14 PM »
from my experience the gravy is fine frozen within 2 months or so but do not leave it
refridgerated for more than 2 days it will ruin any curry.
also when you make it cool the gravy as quickly as possible as this will retain the flavour.

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 02:32 PM »
refridgerated for more than 2 days it will ruin any curry.

Im not so sure about that, ive had gravy in the fridge for longer than that and the curries ive made from it have been fine.? I am now starting to think that freezing the gravy is a ruining it, I might start making half batches and keep it in the fridge untiil ive used it all then make some more.

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 02:42 PM »
I have left Gravy in the Fridge for a couple of weeks :o, as long as its got a thick layer of oil on top then no air can penetrate so it does not go off, works for me.

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 04:12 PM »
I have left Gravy in the Fridge for a couple of weeks :o, as long as its got a thick layer of oil on top then no air can penetrate so it does not go off, works for me.

Im going to do this from now on rather than freezing, I tend to use up all my gravy within 2\3 weeks anyway.

Offline PACMAN

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 04:16 PM »
very interesting
perhaps mine goes off quickly as there is not a great deal of ?oil in it.
I do store mine as a concentrate, watering it down at cookin time.

Offline tonyh

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 05:30 PM »
When you think that just about all indian spices in one form or another are chosen to preserve the food, then we cover it with oil, as in lots of preserved foods worldwide,what are we worried about. It would be interesting to see how long food would last in the fridge (home made that is) and how the taste would survive-or improve.

Cheers Tony

Offline Dylan

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 05:47 PM »
I have a large jar of home made mango pickle in by fridge - it's been there 18 months and still tastes fine (of course there is a lot of salt and oil in it - two very good preservatives)

©2024 Curry Recipes