Author Topic: Curries & Gout (The Cause)  (Read 47438 times)

Offline NairB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Curries & Gout (The Cause)
« on: January 06, 2007, 07:40 PM »
I thought I would discuss this as I'm sure I may not be the only one who gets Gout and others who may be interested in this age old so called "Rich Mans Disease" brought on by diet etc.

Not exactly curry related but in some cases it can be triggered by the rich tomato puree sauces in curries(As in my case).

I am suffering quite painful right now with an attack on my left ankle whereby I cannot walk at all.

I knew that I might be risking an attack earlier this week as I've eaten 2 curries and a large helping of spaghetti bolenaise(I added tons of tomato pur?e). Sure enough, yesterday I felt the recognisable ache in my ankle and I was hoping it would disappear as it can sometimes do but BANG....this morning I was in severe pain!!! :-\

I inherited this condition from my dad and is caused by an enzyme deficiency that regulates the amount of uric acid in our blood. Normal folk will simply release excess uric acid via urine but in gout sufferers the huge amount of uric acid cannot be disposed of so the body puts it elsewhere in the body...typically the bone joints, big toe, ankles and even your knees, elbows etc. The pain is caused by the bodies defence inflaming the tissues in between the bone joints trying to protect it from the crystals of uric acid and its this swelling that is extremely painful. Eventually the bone joint itself can become destroyed by this!!

To ease this pain, may I advise fellow sufferers to place the foot into cold tap water to deal with the internal swelling....it works wonders and is pure relief. DO NOT, DO NOT put your foot into hot water as my dad used to do.......makes it worse. My dad wasn't wiser about it in those days, poor man.

I have medication for this that replaces this enzyme but I have heard of diabetes originating from these medicines so instead of taking the medicine, I have found that careful diet control keeps it at bay for me(Silly me got carried away last week and took the chance).

I can eat lots of curries etc but must try and limit what else I eat with them during the week ie tomato sauces, red meats and red wines.

Does anyone else have the same problem??
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 07:53 PM by NairB »

Offline King Prawn

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Curries & Gout (The Cause)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 08:42 PM »
I used to get it.

started when I was about 30 and it took 9 YEARS for the NHS to diagnose it. During that time  I was on a variety of tablets and injections (during acute flare-ups) and suffered a lot of pain.

I don't think that most people know but it is among the most painful diseases you can get.

I have been on one tablet a day in recent years and so far no attacks at all. I eat what I want and drink as much beer and wine as I want. No probs so far.

Gout is mostly in the big toe joint but as you have found it it can attack any joint in the body, it's just that gravity seems to pull the uric acid crystals to the lowest part of the body.

things to avoid if you are prone to painful swelling in joints caused by gout include alcohol, coffee, meat, lentils, red wine, sherry and port, ginger, some seafoods and any other foods that are high in purines.

Good luck

KP(V)

Offline NairB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 09:03 PM »
Thanks KP, that's encouraging your pills are working. I might speak to the doc again about that.

In a funny kind of way, having gout has in actual fact, improved my diet overall as I need to control my intake of what you mentioned above. Even although I am a curry monster, I have a high fiber diet with lots of fruit and green veg and I have found this will keep the gout away. Unlike last week I went on a food bender so to speak and ZAP.

I have also been told that not eating food, dieting etc can also trigger this as the lack of nutrition can also cause the uric acid imbalance and hence gout and also diabetes. So all you diet folk out there trying to lose weight after new year, watch out for this. You may damage your health by not eating at regular intervals ;)

Offline slimboyfat

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 03:39 PM »
Hi,

I am suffering an attract as we speak, I have had it before and it normally go?s after a few days but this has been lingering for about a month

I get it in my left foot around the toes, I tried a verity if off the self meds like ibuprofen, aspirin makes it worse I eventually dragged myself down to see my GP and he has prescribed meloxicam which has been of great benefit

Hope this of some use

PS KP what is the name of the med you take ??

T
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 03:43 PM by slimboyfat »

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 05:37 PM »
Back in the saddle for a while .....  - I shall have to catch up on all the posts & threads . Nice to see a raft of new members contributing their culinary experiences .

CC

Offline King Prawn

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 05:48 PM »
Hi all,

Well I take 300mg of Allopurinol a day (one small tablet) and it has worked great for more than 5 years now. I used to get attacks every 4-8 weeks before this.

The prevention is better than reactionary meds as these are usually anti-inflamatory tablets that will ruin your stomach lining and give you ulsers with prolonged use. I met a woman in the hospital once who was having to have injections as her stomach was so badly ulcerated after years these things that she couldn't ever take them again.

Be warned, the earlier you get a proper diagnoses the sooner you can put this one behind you.

KP(V)

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 06:20 PM »
hi g/gls
don't suffer with gout thank god but try increasing the amount of turmeric in you diet this is a wonder spice.....  it is used in anti cancer drugs( for certain cancers)anti inflamatory, antiseptic,antibacterial and purifies the blood just to mention just a few of its perfect properties. it is the curcummin in it. i have an indian cookbook ( more authentic than bir(although written by an indian chef ) it lists most of the spices and gives both medicinal and cooking uses.will try to post a few of the best parts and some recipes. the book was a bargain at 50p and it was completely unopened still in its wrapping. and it is good for bronchial complaints good for helping to rid you of the dreaded phlegm?

good luck
regards
gary

ps cc good to hear from you again hope you (both are well) ;)

Offline King Prawn

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 07:54 PM »
garlic is also a good cleaner of the blood and has many medicinal qualities.

KP(V)

Offline stargazer

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 07:38 PM »
My father is bothered with periodic episodes of Gout. Goutrin is a vitamin supplement that has been very effective for him. Give it a try:
http://www.longevita.com/Detail.asp?ProductID=118

Offline mustapharuby

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 06:22 AM »
On the subject of Gout, I suffer quite frequently especially when I over do it with chinese style curry, it seems to have some additive that triggers a gout attack off, and can last up to 4 days even though I take regular prescribed medication. I do cook and eat meals with tomato puree added but never connected it to this condition. Perhaps I should now be more aware of the association that t/p and gout has, thanks for your information.

©2024 Curry Recipes