Author Topic: Is CRO as a forum finished.  (Read 36018 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Is CRO as a forum finished.
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2021, 09:33 AM »
"SMF does not help a lot with numbers and analytics"

Feel free to check out our stats : https://www.aircooledrdclub.com/smf/index.php?action=stats

[T]o be honest I didn't know this is available, anyway anybody can check it know.
https://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?action=stats

Thank you Hugo, thank you Yousef.  Those statistics do seem to confirm my earlier suggestion that the forum started to go downhill at around the time that Domi left (2012).  2012 was the year in which most new topics were added and most posts made.  I wish I could recall what it was that drove Domi out, since until that time there were very few examples of "everyone aiming to prove they are better at making curries or have better techniques and everyone else's methods are rubbish", a situation which sadly no longer obtains.

** Phil.

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2021, 04:15 PM »

Thank you Hugo, thank you Yousef.  Those statistics do seem to confirm my earlier suggestion that the forum started to go downhill at around the time that Domi left (2012).  2012 was the year in which most new topics were added and most posts made.  I wish I could recall what it was that drove Domi out, since until that time there were very few examples of "everyone aiming to prove they are better at making curries or have better techniques and everyone else's methods are rubbish", a situation which sadly no longer obtains.

** Phil.
[emoji106]

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2021, 07:45 PM »
Who was Domi, Phil?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2021, 08:27 PM »
She joined in 2007, Onions, and left in October 2013.  During that time she made almost 900 posts.  She enjoyed banter, but also enjoyed food in all its aspects (cooking, talking about, eating).  A sample of her early posts
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 09:18 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2021, 09:29 PM »
Our Yamaha Forum does not tolerate "any" abuse of Members and we quickly eject anyone who oversteps the line.

Spoiler ... entering totally off-topic mode.

Ohhhh!

Maybe you'll be able to help me get my old RXS100 working again. I left it in shed for a decade, with petrol in it, and of course it's now all gummed up. I have no idea how to get it back into working order.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2021, 10:11 PM »

.... I wish I could recall what it was that drove Domi out, since until that time there were very few examples of "everyone aiming to prove they are better at making curries or have better techniques and everyone else's methods are rubbish", a situation which sadly no longer obtains.

** Phil.

Possibly embarrasment following her contribution to the Happy New Year thread.   :omg:  This appears to be close to the end of her posts.  (coincidently a thread started by Loveitspicy).  It certainly created images in my mind and gave me a chuckle. :smile2:  :lol:

The second part is a perception I don't share. I do agree that there is sometimes criticism of others' work, without it even being attempted, but I don't see members as trying to say their own is better. There are far too many variables in cooking and certain things will work for some, but not others. It is fair to comment on a recipe or dish, but only after you've cooked it.

I can point you to 4 or 5 different Chicken Tikka recipes. They are different but they are all good. Try them and decide for yourself which you prefer. I use them differently according to how much time I have, how I will be cooking it and what it will be used for. As a dish on its own, and with plenty of time for prep, I'll use CT's in the tandoor or Syed's if I'm cooking indoors. For CTM or Butter Chicken it is Romain's. I like Razor's as well and also Misty Ricardo's. Different but NOT better or worse.

Same deal for naan.  We know that Garp has perfected and is a fan of H4ppychris' tawa naan. I tried it. I prefer CT's full dairy yeasted naan or the School of Artisan Cooking naan.  Not better or worse but different.

As for forum traffic and posting, a few days ago I did a quick (rough) count back over the last month or so. There were posts from about 14 or 15 different members. 4 or 5 of these were from "new" members who may or may not post again.  Very little had anything to do with actually cooking anything.

Offline Hugoboss

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2021, 10:07 AM »
Our Yamaha Forum does not tolerate "any" abuse of Members and we quickly eject anyone who oversteps the line.

Spoiler ... entering totally off-topic mode.

Ohhhh!

Maybe you'll be able to help me get my old RXS100 working again. I left it in shed for a decade, with petrol in it, and of course it's now all gummed up. I have no idea how to get it back into working order.

No problem. Join our Forum and we will help with any advice you may need. Its an aircooled Yamaha 2 stroke so right up our street  :like:

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2021, 12:31 PM »
She joined in 2007, Onions, and left in October 2013.  During that time she made almost 900 posts.  She enjoyed banter, but also enjoyed food in all its aspects (cooking, talking about, eating). 

Cheers! I searched for the name, but I suppose the search facility only queries editable text? 

Yes she certainly seems a girl who knew how to have a good time  :-)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2021, 12:34 PM »
Possibly embarrasment following her contribution to the Happy New Year thread.   :omg:  This appears to be close to the end of her posts.  (coincidently a thread started by Loveitspicy).  It certainly created images in my mind and gave me a chuckle. :smile2:  :lol:

Yeah, I just read that. Glad I wasn't eating breakfast at the time.

She was a... small portion of a western Indian state, wasn't she?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2021, 01:07 PM »
She joined in 2007, Onions, and left in October 2013.  During that time she made almost 900 posts.  She enjoyed banter, but also enjoyed food in all its aspects (cooking, talking about, eating). 

Cheers! I searched for the name, but I suppose the search facility only queries editable text? 

Well it does, but as members frequently address each other by name, her name appears in editable text as well as in the "author" field.  Unfortunately the search engine seems to prefer long substring matches to exact string matches, so rather than searching for "domi" (which will result in thousands of instances of "dominant", "dominate), search instead for "domi," or "domi.".

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes