Author Topic: Is CRO as a forum finished.  (Read 36027 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Is CRO as a forum finished.
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2021, 10:44 PM »
I think it's fairly easy, the traffic is here, we just need to give them more reasons to stay. I will tell you why:

Current Avg. Sessions 30k per month

9% from members
91% from new users

OK, so let's discuss who these new users are.  The following are reported as having been online here in the last 600 minutes :
Peripatetic Phil, ipifoxep, Yousef, otekugsah, Garp, aqwoceruqix, dave3310, golofasujive, Weld, uiseyslux, Hugoboss, Stephen Lindsay, Onions, bhamcurry, osokazoz, curryhell, Ivanzqq, Ivanfii, aayojiquqisi, martinvic, hoxazilatsawa, Curry addict, foureyes1941, Em Aloo

Now, how many believe that Messrs ipifoxep, otekugsah, aqwoceruqix, golofasujive, uiseyslux, osokazoz, Ivanzqq, Ivanfii, aayojiquqisi, hoxazilatsawa et al. are bona fide new members, earnestly reading the forum to learn about BIR, intending later to introduce themselves and start talking about curries ?  I don't, for one.  And Messrs ipof0xep .. hoxazilatsawa represent roughly 40% of those online during this period.  So that 91% of new users, if made up primarily of ipifoxep look-alikes, don't need to be given  "a reason to stay"; what they actually need is to be shown the door.

** Phil.

Offline Hugoboss

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2021, 07:42 AM »
Do we not "verify" new Members requests before allowing them in ? Sorry to refer back to my other motorbike forum but on there we only accept new members after checking out their location, ip address, e mail address etc and we refuse around 25 per day. We assign moderation rights to around 10 members to keep an eye on this so ALL our members are genuine enthusiasts. If we are over cautious and refuse a genuine new applicant they usually e mail Admin ( me ) asking why they were refused. Phil is correct, all these spurious usernames are potential spammers and not genuine new users so the actual real membership of this forum may be a lot lower than believed ? Dodgy usernames, gmail/hotmail addresses and locations of ip address are easy clues to non genuine requests. See todays usual suspect which will be refused :

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2021, 09:19 AM »
OK, so let's discuss who these new users are.  The following are reported as having been online here in the last 600 minutes :
Peripatetic Phil, ipifoxep, Yousef, otekugsah, Garp, aqwoceruqix, dave3310, golofasujive, Weld, uiseyslux, Hugoboss, Stephen Lindsay, Onions, bhamcurry, osokazoz, curryhell, Ivanzqq, Ivanfii, aayojiquqisi, martinvic, hoxazilatsawa, Curry addict, foureyes1941, Em Aloo

1 spammer with multiple accounts.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2021, 01:59 PM »
Do we not "verify" new Members requests before allowing them in?

AFAIK: no. No restrictions based on username. But their posts are moderated, which is why you see these usernames listed but seemingly with no posts ever made (as they've been deleted before going live).

Our latest 'member', rejoicing in the totally-not-bot-created moniker Ezikayetit, would really love to be able to post this:

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2021, 03:49 PM »
 :like:

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2021, 02:40 AM »
It most definitely is for me.
Over the years I have posted a number of traditional recipes and, rightly or wrongly, have used this place as a repository to access my most commonly used and favourite recipes.
Now they are no longer available. The title of the thread is still visible with some of the pre-recipe waffle, but the recipes and most of the post have disappeared.
Looks like I will I have to rewrite them and store them elsewhere but it is pointless sharing them here.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2021, 07:57 AM »
That seems really odd.  Perhaps something has gone amiss in the recent site maintenance.  I did just look at one recipe fairly recently posted by you and it certainly does appear to be simply gone.

https://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=15652.msg138922#msg138922

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2021, 01:31 PM »
Over the years I have posted a number of traditional recipes and, rightly or wrongly, have used this place as a repository to access my most commonly used and favourite recipes.

No offence but that is a bit risky at least.

but it is pointless sharing them here.

The point of sharing them, surely, is to share them so that others can try them - not to store them for your own future use.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2021, 02:22 PM »
Indeed. It's sharing not storage   :owsome:

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2021, 02:56 PM »
Indeed. It's sharing not storage   :owsome:
I have posted the recipes to share over a lot of years (I joined in 2005) but they come from multiple sources such as books and websites. When I have a few people round I tend to cook up several dishes, so rather than have four or five books on the worktop and an IPad or laptop, it is far easier to have one source of information, i.e., the iPad or laptop. Then I can have multiple recipes open, flick from one to another with ease, and close them down as I need them.
I have the majority of the recipes I have posted here in other places, just not in one place together.

©2024 Curry Recipes