Author Topic: German restaurants  (Read 2861 times)

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
German restaurants
« on: December 20, 2017, 05:04 AM »
Mrs T63 and I are cruising down the Rhine and then onto Budapest over Christmas and the new year. The boat we are on offers great food (looking at the reviews), but whenever we are away we look at trying a local Indian restaurant.
Whilst I am no longer a regular to the UK BIR scene I have to admit they stand head and shoulders above restaurants I have tried overseas, the most notable disappointments being Paris about 12 years ago and Russia between 95 and 97.

Has anyone experience of German curry houses? Would it be worthwhile eschewing a good meal on the boat to sample German curry offerings?
T63

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: German restaurants
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 09:52 AM »
Has anyone experience of German curry houses?
Yes.
Would it be worthwhile eschewing a good meal on the boat to sample German curry offerings?
IMHO, no.
** Phil.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 09:59 AM »
Check out Hector's blog.
Reviews are listed by destination down the right hand side.

http://curry-heute.com

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 04:15 AM »
Check out Hector's blog.
Reviews are listed by destination down the right hand side.

http://curry-heute.com

Great site, thank you!
Thoroughly enjoyed reading his reviews on places I already know like Tayyabs and Lahore kebab house.
T63

Offline m0rq

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 02:08 PM »
Compared to your British curry houses, many German Indian restaurants don't stand a chance. There are exceptions, though.

Expect better restaurants in the bigger cities. "Curry houses" in small towns are not really Indian when they serve "curries, pasta, pizza, steak, sauerkraut and crepes".

Your voyage down the Rhine will most likely not let you step out in the Munich area, but if you happen to come across the Munich airport in the city Freising, there is my favorite curry house in Germany: New Indian Palace, http://www.indianpalacefreising.de

It's the one that inspired me to cook my own since I'm no longer in that region ;-)

Good luck and have a nice trip!

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 04:59 AM »
Good luck and have a nice trip!
Thank you m0rq. We fly to Nuremberg today and our journey down the Rhine starts tomorrow. We are very much looking forward to seeing Germany and, personally, I am hoping to become acquainted with an authentic Schweinshaxe.
T63

Offline m0rq

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 09:07 AM »
I am hoping to become acquainted with an authentic Schweinshaxe.
T63

You definitely should while in Bavaria, the food there is authentic and of high quality - if you can stomach it :-)

Schweinshaxe, Spanferkel in Dunkelbiersauce (roasted pork in dark beer sauce), Kn

©2024 Curry Recipes