Author Topic: Egg fried rice  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Chiz

• Chef
    • View Profile
Egg fried rice
« on: January 08, 2007, 12:56 PM »
Hello

Made my first dish last week, never cooked one from scratch before. Made chicken pathia and was very impressed how easy it was! Thanks to Darthphaal for the base sauce recipe and Curry King for the pathia.

As much as I love pilau rice (and I'm making Cory Ander's recipe tonight) I like egg fried rice that bit more.

I don't know of anyone who orders egg fried rice in a BIR, it seems to be just me, but I can't get enough of it.

Now I can make some with a nice texture to it, but it's just bland.

I use American long grain rice from Tolly Boy or Uncle Bens.
I'll steam or boil the rice, let it cool, then mix it with the right amount of salt and vegatable oil. I'll then add the solidified egg I've already cooked so I've got a nice texture to the egg and the egg pieces are different shapes and sizes. I sometimes add a little sesame seed oil to the egg before cooking.

I'll then stick this in a wok on full heat.

As I said, it produces rice with the exact texture I like, just like the restaurants. But it just tastes too bland, I'd give it 5/6 out of 10.

Now I don't want to add MSG to it so can someone give me some tips on making it taste that bit better?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 12:59 PM by Chiz »

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Egg fried rice
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 01:21 PM »

Offline bart09

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 01:29 PM »
hi chiz, their is another recipe you can try by mike travis i tried it and it`s perfect.
go into the chinese restaurant recipes and look for chicken fried rice chinese style by mike travis it also got a picture of the dish.
for a egg fried rice just leave the chicken out.try it and let us know how you got on.

Offline Chiz

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 02:03 PM »
Cheers fellas

I've been doing some research about MSG.

Good article at the Guardian here:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmonthly/story/0,,1522368,00.html

It doesn't appear to be harmful in anyway at all.

Does anyone here use it on rice or other cooking?

Supermarkets don't sell it, I need to go to a chinese supermarket and look for "Gourmet Powder" apparently.

©2024 Curry Recipes