Author Topic: Dhaba Masala ("Dhaba Spice Mix")  (Read 6227 times)

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Dhaba Masala ("Dhaba Spice Mix")
« on: December 27, 2017, 11:42 PM »
This very versatile and rustic spice mix is named after Punjab's famous roadside eateries and out of Hari Nayak's "My Indian Kitchen". Very similiar to Tandoori Masala and great for marinations, this will also add an amazing flavour to classic dhaba dishes in general. I highly recommend to try out this mix with some Rajma Masala and/or Aloo Mattar :) Here's the recipe:

2 Tbsp Coriander seeds
2 Tbsp Cumin seeds
1 stick cinnamon, 1,25 cm long
1 Tsp whole cloves
1 Tsp fennel seeds
1 Tsp red chili powder
1 Tsp ground turmeric
1 Tsp ground mace
1 Tsp garlic powder
1 Tsp salt

Dry roast the whole spices for approx. 1-2 minutes over medium heat until fragrant, Let them cool. Grind them up and combine with the powdered spices. Store airtight.

Cheers!  :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 01:15 AM by chonk »

littlechilie

Re: Dhaba Masala ("Dhaba Spice Mix")
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 06:00 PM »
This very versatile and rustic spice mix is named after Punjab's famous roadside eateries and out of Hari Nayak's "My Indian Kitchen". Very similiar to Tandoori Masala and great for marinations, this will also add an amazing flavour to classic dhaba dishes in general. I highly recommend to try out this mix with some Rajma Masala and/or Aloo Mattar :) Here's the recipe:

2 Tbsp Coriander seeds
2 Tbsp Cumin seeds
1 stick cinnamon, 1,25 cm long
1 Tsp whole cloves
1 Tsp fennel seeds
1 Tsp red chili powder
1 Tsp ground turmeric
1 Tsp ground mace
1 Tsp garlic powder
1 Tsp salt

Dry roast the whole spices for approx. 1-2 minutes over medium heat until fragrant, Let them cool. Grind them up and combine with the powdered spices. Store airtight.

Thanks for the post and recipe Chonk. I

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Dhaba Masala ("Dhaba Spice Mix")
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 08:12 PM »
Hey LC  :)

You're welcome  :)

Basically, this is intended to be used or tried out with all the rustic north-indian comfort food dishes  :) Just like Garam Masala (added at the beginning, the end, or somewhere in between), but it's also intended to be used like a spice rub and for your tikka or tandoori marinations  :) Hari Nayaks used it in four recipes/dishes: spiced meatballs, smoky eggplant dip, legumes and fish tikka  :)

I personally recommend it especially for Rajma Masala. Gives a very nice orange taint also  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes