Author Topic: Group testing.  (Read 38541 times)

littlechilie

Re: Group testing.
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2018, 01:11 PM »
I Had the opportunity yesterday to remake dipuraja1

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2018, 03:33 PM »
The curry I cooked yesterday tops everything I have produced...  I

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2018, 07:49 PM »
So I'm getting ready for this group test.  It's been a long while since I spent the day in the kitchen but Saturday was mostly given over to prepping base ,chicken and mix powder.

Pre-cooked chicken from the Viceroy, Abbots Langley, IMO it doesn't get much tastier and so simple

A bucket of Jb's base, much respected and used by many

Tonight I read this which has got me chomping at the bit as I'm starving
I have be on the Madrss vindaloo trail for many years, cooking all the recipes available here. The curry I cooked yesterday tops everything I have produced...
I

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2018, 08:23 PM »
I made Dips base to spec as I haven't had any base on the go for a couple of months (staff curry extra hot is all anyone wants). Fine base, a little spicier than my usual CT base due to the green chillis. Immediately notice it's a bit oilier too.

The mix powder is fine too, I don't use paprika, but pul biber ( turkish dried flaked chilli, hotter and much tastier, sourced locally). Used the usual Zaal GM.

Cooked exactly to spec, very nice, a bit too greasy (spooned loads of oil off before I served it).

I'm a bit surprised at LC's comments on this recipe; it was fine, but not as good as either his own recipe or my usual CT madras. I don't know whether this was down to cooking technique, mix powder or the paprika. If I was advising a beginner I'd give them this in a shot, but prefer the caramalisation and taste with a 2 or 3 stage reduction. Good 7/10

I also used extra hot chilli powder and didn't feel that this method brought out enough heat. Could be my induction hob.

I still have some base to play and mix powder to play around with though.

littlechilie

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2018, 07:19 AM »
Awesome looking food and great information coming through here... I think in an ideal situation we would be in a room blind taste testing, the only real way to see the massive difference that can occur from technique and heat. I

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2018, 09:53 PM »
Awesome looking food and great information coming through here... I think in an ideal situation we would be in a room blind taste testing, the only real way to see the massive difference that can occur from technique and heat. I

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2018, 07:17 AM »
So what is the common denominator which makes this 'group test' anything more than making different curries and comparing them?
I believe your question was answered by comments made earlier in the thread  ::)  But, in essence, (re-)engagement, discussion, activity and fun I think sums it up, for those who actually want to participate.  We'll never have the laboratory conditions and absolute control measures to make a  group test anything like a clinical trial. Don't feel the need to participate if you don't want to but the more the merrier.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2018, 07:47 PM »
Well cooked my group test madras tonight.  I couldn

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2018, 09:43 PM »
I'm grateful for such in-depth detail of your cooking method, CH. TBH, like Chewytikka, I was extremely sceptical of Dip's video cooking method. I couldn't imagine that his approach could come close to my current standard.

So tomorrow, I'm going to do Dip's base gravy, mix powder and a pre-cooked shoulder of lamb. Then, I'll cook the Madras as I would any other curry.

The great photos posted so far suggest that it's a decent-looking curry that tastes pretty good too.

Fingers crossed! :)

PS: I'll be trying to your Vindaloo method too!

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2018, 10:29 PM »
So, basically, nobody has followed the recipe and method?

©2024 Curry Recipes