Author Topic: How can a curry kit or curry paste possibly make up for no curry base?  (Read 23233 times)

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
HI Folks,
Interesting topic,whilst I am in full agreement that a proper!? base is the real answer,I find that time offers some constraints and have to resort to kits in order to get a reasonable curry out in a speedy time(hospital appointments for two,with treatments and physio etc)
Have been using the Spice Tailor kits quite a bit which are more than passable,though on a recent questionnaire I did  I was reaching for the mango chutney more than usual.
Anyway in that vein I'm scratching around in the bottom of the freezer for a stray base or two! Cheers Geoff

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Madhur Jaffrey's early 1980s recipe for Makhani sauce includes grated fresh ginger.
The Nepalese, too, add juliennes of fresh ginger to some of their curries.
** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
I can honestly say that I've never had a curry, and I mean any curry, of any variety, from any source, where I've gone, "blimey that's a bit gingery"!

So I'm assuming this has to be a regional thing or specific to certain curries which apparently I haven't come across.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Since living in Scotland for the past 4 or 5 years, I must've been to at least 40 odd curry houses. Be it takeaway or restaurant.
They all have (bar one or two) the same flavour to their savoury curries.
And I put it down to the G/G paste not being fried at the start of each dish.

It would be the same as trying to make a tomato sauce for pasta and blending the onions and garlic with tomatoes instead of frying everything individually.
You end up with gazpacho. A completely different flavour.

Offline CURRYISNICE

• Chef
    • View Profile
Since living in Scotland for the past 4 or 5 years, I must've been to at least 40 odd curry houses. Be it takeaway or restaurant.

Since being in Scotland for about 4 years I and others who are from England have all noticed (bar one or two takeaway or restaurants) have the same flavour to their savoury curries also, which includes a raw G and G flavour, These are currys from takeaway or restaurants streaching from Inverkip on the west of Scotland to Dumbarton to Ayrshire to Falkirk to Livingston. I have tried curries from takeaway or restaurants in Edinburgh which included "Bengali" in their name and they DID NOT have the G and G taste in the curries and did not have the same savoury flavour as the before mentioned places, they tasted like a curry you could get in England (Well the ones I have had in England) nothing wrong at all with the way they make the curries and I am not complaining, its just not to my particular taste or preference the raw G and G flavour. As other posters have mentioned the reason is that in those areas in Scotland more Punjabis settled there hence the "Indian" cuisine being influenced by that style.  Very interesting though as to how and why their is a regional difference.

Offline CURRYISNICE

• Chef
    • View Profile

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
 Ere, CURRYISNICE, you been copying my homework?  ;D

Offline CURRYISNICE

• Chef
    • View Profile
Ere, CURRYISNICE, you been copying my homework?  ;D

Haha, what you said is almost exactly the same for me too, so was easier to simply copy what you wrote and make minor amendments where needed as I was pushed for time haha  ;)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile

Ashoka recipes, on this forum since 2008, Punjabi all day long, using a 3 in 2, in favour of  garlic pre fried g&g paste in the dish, :o using a gravy which could be from anywhere. To be expected from CURRYISNICE, as he has clearly read very little on here before posting. Thought you may have came across this after over a thousand posts though.

ELW
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:52 PM by ELW »

Offline CURRYISNICE

• Chef
    • View Profile

Ashoka recipes, on this forum since 2008, Punjabi all day long, using a 3 in 2, in favour of  garlic pre fried g&g paste in the dish, :o using a gravy which could be from anywhere. To be expected from CURRYISNICE, as he has clearly read very little on here before posting. Thought you may have came across this after over a thousand posts though.

ELW

ELW thanks so much for taking the time to reply and your helpful and kind post and for making a new comer and new to learing about Indian cooking to the forum feel so welcome, thank you. Yes I now know that the Punjabi and Ashokas use G and G paste in the final dish unlike Bengali resturants/take aways, I must apologize for not reading this in the forum previously before posting otherwise I would have known why the currys in the West of Scotland whos main influence is Punjabi cuisine has a G and G taste to their dishes. Again please accept my apologies ELW  I should have read the forum in more depth and I would have found the answer.

©2024 Curry Recipes