Author Topic: Baseless (chicken) bhuna  (Read 4256 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Baseless (chicken) bhuna
« on: August 19, 2018, 09:57 PM »
I have long believed that base gravy/garabi/whatever has no place in an authentic bhuna dish, but with the sole exception of RivalSavage's Takeaway Bhuna Recipe (published 2010), none of the bhuna recipes that I have so far looked at on CR0 meet this criterion.  So, having eaten Mrs Bari's chicken bhuna several times over the last few weeks, I decided to have a go at creating one myself.  I started by looking at all the Indian cookery books that I have, but the majority make no mention of chicken bhuna (or even of bhuna(o) as a technique).  Of those that do, Camellia Panjabi's Bhuna gosht (Delhi) looked potentially good but too time-consuming for this evening, Prashad describes the process of bhunao but the absence of an index to his Cooking with Indian Masters was a major disincentive to searching for a recipe, Kurana/Naran/Jetha's The Curry Book had a recipe for "Dry bhuna mushroom and prawn curry" but required use of a liquidiser, with which I coudn't be bothered, and Hobson's 1000 classic Indian recipes required yoghurt, out of which I had run.  So in the end I turned to my old stand=by,  E P Veerasawmy's Indian Cookery (1969).  Mr Veerasawmy (born Edward Palmer !) makes no mention of the word bhuna(o), but his Dry chicken curry seemed to be that for which I was searching.  I didn't follow his recipe to the letter, but used it for inspiration.

So, I took one medium onion, one clove of garlic, sliced both very thinly and saut
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 12:30 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Baseless (chicken) bhuna
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 02:13 PM »
I have a book you might be interested in Phil, but its such a pain to read that if you have the time, I'd be grateful if you could edit it into a more easily readable format.

Cheers, Frank.

https://files.fm/u/6pq22n63

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 04:16 PM »
I have a book you might be interested in Phil, but its such a pain to read that if you have the time, I'd be grateful if you could edit it into a more easily readable format.
Cheers, Frank.

https://files.fm/u/6pq22n63

Just downloading it now, Frank.  Ah, now I have opened it, I see I have a copy in hardback !  When you say "it is not easy to read", what sort of "more easily readable format" did you have in mind ?  Being a PDF, it is not easy to edit (possible, but definitely not easy).

** Phil.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:53 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 05:24 PM »
No problem Phil, if you already have the book then leave the editing.
I wanted it to be a single copied page per PDF page rather than a double photocopied page that you have to zoom in to.
I read all my ebooks on an 8" tablet so not easy to read.
One day I'll have an A4 sized tablet  ;)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 06:13 PM »
Ah, I see
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:54 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile