Author Topic: UK School of Artisan Food Naan  (Read 18794 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: UK School of Artisan Food Naan
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2020, 06:13 PM »
:lol:

My favourite is the haggis and Buckfast naan.

Definitely a delicacy Garp.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2020, 10:25 PM »
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/lifestyle/food-and-drink/2149297/irn-bru-inspired-treats-to-get-you-in-the-spirit-of-baking/

This article doesn't mention naan but I look forward to a picture of your attempts.  Being a carbonated bevie you could use it as the leavening agent and avoid the metallic taste of excessive baking powder.

I imagine haggis would be along the lines of the keema naan. Fusion recipes are taking off and the Mars Bar might be a real winner dessert naan sprinkled with icing sugar and served with ice cream. My daughter won a Mars Bar cheesecake a few years ago. It was huge and took 2 days to make and 2 weeks to eat.  Probably better to use this naan recipe as the base to avoid the baking powder after-taste.

Cheese naan is not just an Australian thing as the number of hits from a search will show.  It is actually a thing in India.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 01:18 AM by livo »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2020, 11:04 PM »
:omg:   :omg:   :omg: 
Cheese naan found in the UK!!!
Dishoom
All day menu.
Cheese Naan
Cheddar melted inside (V) 3.90.
  :confusing3:  and way too expensive. After exchange rate that's  nearly double what we pay over here.
Cheddar melted inside of all things. What next? Mango Chicken as well?
I think I'll have a little lay down.
 :pill: :pill: :pill:

Off topic.
The Cheese naan was found by accident when I investigated from this, 
https://iamafoodblog.com/dishooms-ruby-chicken-curry-recipe/

Does anybody have the Dishoom Cookery book?
https://www.dishoom.com/cookery-book/
Is it any good?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 11:20 PM by livo »

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2020, 11:15 PM »
Check this out, some fine looking naans, couldn't understand how they appeared to have a dimpled and uniformed pattern prior to cooking, so pay particular attention to the guy forming them starting at 5.15 sec of video. Well worth trying.

https://youtu.be/VZbUXCasbTo

Regards pap rika

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2020, 12:46 AM »
Very good pap rika.  I already have one of those pizza crisping pans so I'll give it a try.  I know it's common to use the fingertips to stipple the naan which gives the characteristic bubbles but that method provides 2 functions which is a great idea.

I notice at the end of the video that the cheese is added and melted on top of the naan and it does look pretty good.  I came across this in a menu yesterday (Punjab Covent Garden uses smooth light French Cheese https://www.punjab.co.uk/file_upload/Punjab-takeaway-menu.pdf).

A problem I still have is finding the right type of cheese to use.  The naan sold out here are all very similar. I've tried just using grated block cheese (mild tasty and cheddar) but they just aren't right.  I've now read that cheddar is used but I've also seen that Mozzarella is used so I'll try a blend of the 2 next time.  I don't think it's just mozzarella because it does have flavour and mozzarella is a very bland thing on it's own.  Perhaps it is a Colby.

One of the UK BIR Cheese naan I found yesterday (and there are plenty, even a few in Scotland) uses Red Leicester but that isn't in the naan out here.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 01:33 AM by livo »

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2020, 09:31 PM »
Cheers livo,
                      Surprising what little nuggets of information can be obtained on closer observations. Evident also is their lack of flour when shaping the dough, their preference being the use of cooking oil which appears to increase the elasticity of the product whilst retaining the moisture content
  Ref your cheese choice have to agree mozzarella would not be my choice, mature cheddar would be my preference for its strong and creamy texture.

Regards pap rika

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2020, 10:42 PM »
Yes, the hands of the woman loading the plate are wet with oil halfway up her arms. I assumed water at first but the naan don't require any stickiness on a horizontal cook surface.  I'm always amazed at just how easily pros handle dough.

Somehow I missed the first part on first view of the video. Grated cheese followed by the garlic butter from the bucket.

Flour, yeast, salt and when asked, no egg.  The thing that is common in many naan videos of this type is that there is no prolonged delay (24 hours or overnight fridge rest). Mixer, balls, shaping and cooked. There must be some short rest to allow gluten to relax. Either that or it is a very loose dough.

The other video from the same series, Shadi Bakery Croydon is good to watch as well. Same recipe.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 10:54 PM by livo »

©2024 Curry Recipes