Author Topic: 10 year curry house experience-Curry cooking methods.  (Read 20806 times)

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: 10 year curry house experience-Curry cooking methods.
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2007, 12:28 PM »

8)   At approximately 5 minutes a teaspoon of pre-made cooked paste is added (recipe to follow) and stirred in immediately followed by a chefs pinch of chopped coriander leaves(cilantro) and stirred again.

Andy

Unless I am mistaken, this is the bit we are missing
The special tomato/garlic paste (or something similar) that Mark J mentioned and was described by "M" as the secret paste
It's what I am most curious about

Thanks Andy for fantastic posts

Offline King Prawn

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 01:07 PM »
....and Andy said that it would be in his next posting. I hope he is posting today as I am cooking a curry tonight for 3. :D

KP(V)

Offline NairB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 02:52 AM »
....and Andy said that it would be in his next posting. I hope he is posting today as I am cooking a curry tonight for 3. :D

KP(V)

I'm sitting at the PC waiting patiently with a can of beer lol. Certainly beats watching big brother!!! ;D

Offline King Prawn

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2007, 08:35 AM »
Hmmm....That's not difficult! ;) :) :)

Been tyring the press and scrape method this week, but all that happens is the stuff just squishes out from under the spoon!!! - Any hints or tips on this???

KP(V)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 11:31 AM by King Prawn »

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 09:40 AM »
That's exactly why I've been asking for a video demo. Just going by the description, I have doubts that it has any effect at all, but because the proponents of this method haven't posted a few pics or a video clip - preferably a video - I can't make a qualified judgement.

This is one of those examples where technique is potentially critical and descriptive words just don't cut it.

YF

Offline King Prawn

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2007, 11:34 AM »
GIve them time YF - Rome wan't built is a day (although I have my own theory on that!).

I am sure we are getting ever closer to something that will help us achieve a much better standard of home cooking. When I get this cracked it will be a relief as I can then rest and go back to buying take aways instead!

KP(V)

Offline After8

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2007, 12:03 PM »
Andy,  is the cooker on full bore for the whole of this cooking process?

A8

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2007, 12:39 PM »
Yes the gas MUST be on full bore.  And yes the syuff will squidge out, but use a circular motion.  If you look at some of the on-site videos from restaurants on the Tube, UKTV etc you will probably see the chefs using this technique (it is not solely an Indian technique). 

Offline After8

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2007, 06:38 PM »
I've just come back from the supply shop with MSG and asafoedita. The latter took a long time  to find as I expected it to be a with the spices - it was in as small container like a salt shaker. That stuff absolutely honks ( kinda smokey smelling!!) so I'm keen to know how much a chef's pinch is as I don't want to overdo it. The man who served me stressed this as well.

I'm ready to try and make a curry, althought I'll be using an existing base as I don't have a big enough pan for Andy's.

A8

Offline andy2295

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2007, 10:49 PM »
Hi after8.

A chefs pinch is between thumb and first finger. Dont over do it. I can only say that i wont guarantee results without our base, our method and the paste posted today. The paste is important. But good luck.

Regards

Andy

©2024 Curry Recipes