Author Topic: G'day from Australia  (Read 9020 times)

Offline TikkaTai

• Chef
    • View Profile
G'day from Australia
« on: November 30, 2018, 01:28 AM »
Just wanted to say Hi!

I'm Tai. When I lived in the UK I used to visit the 'Mugal-E-Shahi'in Loughborough twice a week. After moving to woop woop in the back of beyond Australia I couldn't get herbs/spices at all, just Sharwoods pastes. So began a quest to make a truly enjoyable curry  ??? I now have all I need material wise, just lacking in knowledge.

I found your site while searching for base recipes, what a pantry of knowledge! Can someone help with direct me to recipes using seasoned oil & Base gravy (both prepared) and why is it best to use precooked chicken, does it matter?

Thanks in advance, Tai

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: G'day from Australia
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 03:22 AM »
Hi TT. I too am from Oz and there have been others. You are in the right place to learn about curry.  Where is the back of woop woop generally?  I'm about 50 km north of Sydney as the crow flies.  While you will find some ingredients mentioned in this forum impossible to obtain, most of the hard stuff is not really necessary to preparing a good curry anyway.  Lots is available online but you have to search for it.  I may be able to assist in a lot of this as I've done a lot of looking for obscure things.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 10:35 AM by livo »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 08:29 AM »
G'day, sport.  For me, pre-cooked chicken is not essential; I regularly make my curries these days using fresh (free-range) chicken and have not for a long time felt the need to pre-cook it.  I believe that pre-cooking is simply a restaurant convenience, to allow dishes to be prepared faster (and arguably, more consistently) than if fresh chicken were used, with the added benefit that pre-cooked chicken can be kept at room temperature for somewhat longer than fresh chicken without the food hygiene inspector throwing a wobbly.  Can't help with a recipe involving spiced oil (but see the recent debate on the topic); for a simple and fool-proof recipe using base gravy, perhaps see my "Phil's phoolproof curry" recipe which does use pre-cooked chicken.

** Phil (CSIRO/DITMELB, Melbourne 1987).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:04 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 12:54 PM »
Hi Tai
So you already made spiced oil and base gravy. step 1.
Why not try a Madras, a fairly straightforward cook
Use fresh or precooked chicken, cooked in plenty of spicy gravy.
Have a look at my video recipes to get the idea. ;)

https://youtu.be/s575GLlDbHQ

cheers Chewy

Offline TikkaTai

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 01:26 AM »
Hi again, thank you for your helpful replies!

I don't know how to respond to messages individually (or even if I can) .......... lots to learn I'm new to forums.

Livo I started out at Coonabarabran, then Nyngan, then Parkes. Now am back in civilization in the Nelson Bay area. I've found an Indian grocery store in Newcastle which has helped me to up my game  :)

Thanks Phil, the 'phoolproof curry looks awesome and on the to do list!  When I woke up this morning the house smelled amazing after all the prep. Raring to go  ;D

Chewytikka thanks so much for the recipe/video, this shall be my first foray using the seasoned oil/base gravy.  :D

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 03:38 AM »
Raj's Corner for food and Raj's Spices right next door on Beaumont St Hamilton.  There is also an Indian / Asian / Polynesian grocer in Wallsend.  You should be able to get everything you need.  I drop into Raj's Spices every time I visit the optometrist down the road. 

You sure have been to woop woop but you are now in one of my favourite places in Australia.  My ancestors lived at Soldiers Point and we used to travel up there to visit when the only way across Newcastle harbour was the punt ferry.   Relos were pro fishermen and they ran the Fish 'n' Chip shop there as well. Some are now still in seafood game being local oyster farmers.  The Chippy is now closed down but the store front remains.  I've done a lot of fishing up that way.

Offline TikkaTai

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 06:44 AM »
Hi Livo, that's where I go (Raj's)!!  I eat first of course & then shop. Its a small world  :) I didn't know of the one in Wallsend do you know the road its on? I'll check it out when I go on Tuesday. Soldiers point is lovely, the whole bay area is quite beautiful isn't it. I'm very happy to be by the water again. I missed it living so far inland.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 08:07 AM »
How good is the aroma from Raj's Corner?  This is what people on this website were talking about when they discussed the mysterious missing element.  If  I'm approaching from downwind I start to get hungry at about 500 meters.  My kitchen gets pretty good but nothing like the intensity emanating from that place.

The Wallsend store is called Asia Pacific and the address is 1/92 Nelson St Wallsend.  It's pretty much the main road I think. I've only been there twice.  Not very big but possibly worth a look if your driving past. If you've found Raj's you've got the best spot to get your spices and other bits and pieces.

If your ever in the western end of Sydney, that's where it all is.  Udaya Supermarket on Station St Wentworthville is amazing in their range and Patel Bros is just a few doors down. You can easily get to these by train.  There are other smaller places around Westmead, Harris Park and all through those western suburbs right out to Liverpool, Campbelltown and Fairfield etc Udaya has another store in Liverpool.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 08:19 AM by livo »

Offline TikkaTai

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 12:54 AM »
Hi Livo,
Thanks for the address re the store in Wallsend. I shall definitely visit on Tuesday. Yes the aroma at Raj corner is something else! Even if you'd just had a big breakfast you'd be drawn in. Last Feb I went to stay with some friends in Sydney, we curried out for 4 days. They took me to a whole street where anything was obtainable, the supermarket there was huge. I'll have to ask Urmila where it was, perhaps it was where you mentioned? We had a takeaway curry from a small shop, it was called '

Offline TikkaTai

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 07:53 AM »
Hi Tai
So you already made spiced oil and base gravy. step 1.
Why not try a Madras, a fairly straightforward cook
Use fresh or precooked chicken, cooked in plenty of spicy gravy.
Have a look at my video recipes to get the idea. ;)

https://youtu.be/s575GLlDbHQ

cheers Chewy

Hi Chewy, thanks for the link to your recipe, Ii tried it last night it was mouth watering delicious! So much so I hadn't time to cook rice and ate it as it was ... couldn't wait  :P Thanks again, thoroughly recommended!!

Tai

©2024 Curry Recipes