Author Topic: G'day from Australia  (Read 9019 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: G'day from Australia
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 10:33 AM »
I've cooked Chiccken 65 a few times. I'll find the recipe I used because the packet versions are rubbish in comparison. Indian KFC. Yummo.  It's not really a curry though. At least not normally. It's spicy fried chicken served with a sauce.

Offline TikkaTai

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 01:01 AM »
Hi Livo, I'd love to see your recipe! Yes we had it as a starter really, all three of us fed on one portion, it reminded me of popcorn chicken, the Indian version! My friends replicated it a few days later & did a grand job, however as a main course it was quite rich  :)

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 10:21 PM »
Welcome TikkaTai.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 11:33 PM »
Hi Livo, I'd love to see your recipe!

I've just done a quick search for "Chicken 65" (using the quotation marks) and there is a recipe on the forum that is pretty much the same as the one I've cooked and enjoyed. Here  The missing quantities are 1/2 tsp.  The sauce from the recipe I used did not use the Chilli Garlic Paste, fresh chillies or lime juice.  Everything else is exactly the same.

The exact recipe I followed is from Chef Vahrehvah Here

He has a couple of slightly different versions. Here and Here

Avoid packet versions of the pre-prepared spice mix. They are nothing like following one of these proper recipes.

If you like fried chicken you should give this recipe a try. Crispy Fried Chicken There is a forum thread about it here.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:55 PM by livo »

Offline TikkaTai

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 12:17 AM »
Hi Bob-A-Job, thank you  :)

Offline TikkaTai

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 12:29 AM »
Hi Livo, the chicken 65 recipe looks good .. a fair bit of faffing around tho. I'll try mastering a few of the 'proper'curries first ......

Talking of which I went to Raj's Corner yesterday, ate first of course! I had 2/3rds chicken Masala with 1/3rd aloo gobi & customary garlic naan YUM  :P I did try the goat a few weeks ago but it wasn't to my liking. Then I waddled next door to collect all my ingredients which were many!

I went to the store at Wallsend but had pretty much got everything I needed From Raj. Did you know there's another store a block up selling Indian stuff? It was closed due to prayer, I had a sticky beak through the window. It wasn't as big as Raj's they had a lot of pots & pans though. I would have liked to see if they had an aluminium pan, next time!

Trying lamb bhuna tonight  ;D

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 01:19 AM »
Was the closed store in Hamilton or Wallsend?  Either way the answer is no, I haven't been to it.  I bought my ali pan at Udaya for about $20. It really does make a difference to cooking your curry. Let me know if you have trouble finding one because I go down to Westmead frequently. 

Check the Hospitality supply places too because they sometimes stock them.

Here's one in Lambton. Reward Hospitality  Available in 3 sizes.

Offline TikkaTai

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 02:09 AM »
Hi Livo,

Thank you so much to the link you sent for the place in Lambton. I'll go there on my next trip to Newcastle. The closed shop was in Wallsend a 5 minute walk up from the one you gave me the address of. They had big pans in the window, couldn't see any frying pans though. Lambton sounds the go & reasonable too!

Offline chillihothot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 11:31 PM »
Hi Tikka, livo

I live in Newcastle so I'll share my thoughts.

If its any use, I actually do my shops for BIR spices in Broadmeadow http://www.kairaliasiangroceries.com.au/
Its opposite the korean fried chicken place.

I've been to a few fair of the grocers here in Newcastle. I think I know where some good ones are and I reckon the above is best for BIR.

If you like Korean/Japanese then there's a great place in Lambton.
There's also a guy who sells his own blends in Newcastle mall. Interesting place but not really where I'd shop.

Regarding Asian restaurants, sadly I can't recommend anything whatsoever in the area. Its overall poor. Even by Australian standards Newcastle can't even do a decent Thai. Adelaide seems to do that best.

Anyway that's all not an issue as I make BIR and Thai at home.

Newcastle is dominated by American style hipster burger places which is what they do well. Its what people like here, which is somewhat different to the tastes of other towns.

Cheers
Chilli

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 02:53 AM »
I'll have a look next time I'm in the area.

When I studied in Newcastle in the early 80's the BHP was still in operation, the city was industrial and mainly white anglo-saxon. Darby Street Pies on Saturday morning, Henny Penny hot chicken roll with gravy, late night burgers or bacon and egg rolls.  There were some ethnic influences but not a lot.  Post WWII immigrants from the Mediterranean and Europe. There were Italian restaurants around and a famous Gelateria in Hamilton plus Jim's Milk bars. The odd Chinese restaurants were about as exotic as it came apart from pizza and I think there was a Mexican somewhere in town.

It has changed a bit since then but it is not very heartening to hear your critique on the food offerings of the city.

Chillihothot, do you have UK experience of BIR?  and if so, how do you compare the food prepared from using this forum?  Also, what are your views on any difference to Australian IR offerings?  I have quite enjoyed the food from Raj's Corner on the few occasions I've tried it.  I didn't think much of the food from the Indian T/A at Garden City when my fishing mate took me there, (because it was apparently halal).

©2024 Curry Recipes