Author Topic: Hello :)  (Read 7503 times)

Offline TikkaTai

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Hello :)
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 07:28 AM »
Hi Steve,

I think we have both found the ideal place to home in & enjoy our curry experience! Happy cooking  :D

Offline bolinao

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 09:51 PM »
Base will freeze without difficulty, but do make sure you homogenize it first otherwise each curry you cook may be unintentionally different.  I would recommend 300ml rather than 200, possibly even 350

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 10:20 PM »
Welcome bolinao.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 10:41 PM »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 01:35 AM »
So long as you bring any defrosted base to the boil to kill any bacteria that might have multiplied during the defrosting you should be fine.  What I would not recommend is defrosting and then re-freezing, since during the defrost phase bacteria can multiply exponentially ...

** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 04:52 AM »
I should have been more particular about my previous comment. There are obviously limitations.
It depends upon how food is defrosted / thawed and the temperature it actually reaches. Bacteria grow in all sorts of environments and temperatures but most commonly found, harmful bacteria, in food, grow in a temperature range known as The Danger Zone. 40' F to 140' F.  Food defrosted slowly in the fridge, or as long as it doesn't exceed 40' F (5' C), is perfectly safe to refreeze as is.  It could take 2 or 3 days to defrost a whole chicken or roast in a fridge but if you don't use it, you could just pop it back in the freezer.

Phil, you are absolutely correct in saying that foods, having been warmer than this, would need to be re-heated to above 140' F (60' C) to kill off harmful bacteria that may have grown and then reduced in temperature and frozen as quickly as possible.  This is fine for base gravy but not so helpful for raw meats.

So, while it is known that you can refreeze defrosted food, there are limitations and safety criteria that must be met still.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 01:13 PM »
So I made up 350ml packs and froze then, but can they be re-frozen if needed, if I thaw out a pack and only need half, can I put the thawed lot back in the freezer ?

thanks

Hello bolinao
Yes, is the simple answer to your question.
cheers Chewy

Offline bolinao

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2018, 10:38 PM »
Thanks everyone :)

What's with the strange symbol that replace letters on certain words, am I the only one seeing them ?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2018, 11:11 PM »
I'm not seeing it.

Offline bolinao

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 05:42 AM »
Here is a screenshot of what I am seeing, maybe someone might know ?

©2024 Curry Recipes