Author Topic: How do you know when you are "there" ?  (Read 35512 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: How do you know when you are "there" ?
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2019, 09:50 PM »
SS, unknown I'm afraid and it opens a whole new discussion doesn't it.

Firstly. No, I have not ever eaten an actual "British" Indian curry. Following the exact instructions on this site, books, ebooks and YouTube, I have eaten BIR curry. Clearly, if people on this site still feel there's still something missing for them, then it is for me as well. If others say they are cooking perfect BIR, then I am as well.  What I can say is that there is that same feeling that the commercial aroma and taste is missing here as well, so in that regard I feel the same.

It is worth noting the Amazon blurb for The Curry Secret, which refers to the Indian restaurant recipes being global. I don't believe there is a massive difference between here and there. I've never seen MasalaMark's 3 paste method used and most places have big pots of base gravy and pre-cooked meats and vegies etc. Quite possibly though, true BIR is different.  Almost certainly, old school BIR was different to what you have today.

While I really don't see that there can be much difference between the curries here and there, the anecdotal evidence is there to suggest otherwise. Expatriate Brits certainly used to snub Aussie curries, but I'd think that may no longer be the case. The Australian industry was in its infancy 40 years ago but it isn't now.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2019, 11:31 PM »
Sverige, I also found this Bunjarra recipe on a site from 2012 by a guy called Addy. He actually refers people to CRo in the post so probably a member.  The title of the thread looks somewhat familiar doesn't it?
https://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/whats-for-tea-tonight-8.256241/page-716

Edit. Don't bother, it's a direct snitch of panpots Ashoka recipe. I see you've already tried.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 09:39 PM by livo »

Online mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2019, 08:18 AM »
Here we go again around the mulberry bush lol.
This debate has been going on as long as this forum has existed. Its got to be the 3rd  or 4th time - at least for me to listen to all this.
Unfortunately, most people on this site do not understand SS's/ Petes quest.
Unless you were eating  bir curries in the 80's, you've probably never tasted that illusive umami taste you could get back then. (the missing 5%).
Generally today, we can all give our local bir a run for their money with regard to what they now knock up, but compared to back in the golden years....... we dont even come close!!! Most of the top Bangladeshi Cooks were deported years ago

Regards

Mick

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2019, 08:46 AM »
This debate has been going on as long as this forum has existed. Its got to be the 3rd  or 4th time - at least for me to listen to all this.
Unfortunately, most people on this site do not understand SS's/ Petes quest.

It's way more than three or four times. And, yes, me and Pete are very misunderstood.   ;D

Most of the top Bangladeshi Cooks were deported years ago

Yes, indeed. I hadn't really factored that into the equation. Many of them will have gone home anyway after making their fortune in the UK to live it up as kings in Pakistan or Bangladesh. So lack of experienced chefs, along with not using old oil as much and the increasing use of Pataks pastes by the shady crowd who started up around the nineties solely to cash in on the trend in my opinion completely explains the rather lacklustre curries that I get served today and that anyone can make.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2019, 08:52 AM »
I also found this Bunjarra recipe on a site from 2012 by a guy called Addy. He actually refers people to CRo in the post so probably a member.

Addy is a White English bloke who set up his own curry caf

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2019, 08:54 AM »
Wasn't that Adie ?
** Phil.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2019, 09:03 AM »
Generally today, we can all give our local bir a run for their money with regard to what they now knock up, but compared to back in the golden years....... we dont even come close!!!

I've been eating BIR cuisine since 1963, and there are some dishes which I ate in my earlier years which I will remember forever

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2019, 09:10 AM »
While I really don't see that there can be much difference between the curries here and there, the anecdotal evidence is there to suggest otherwise.

This is from Aussie Mick on the mango chicken thread:

I don't know whether you realise, but the vast majority of UK "Indian" restaurants are actually Bangladeshi or Pakistani owned, whereas in OZ, most are owned by Indians, that is why the food is completely different.

So it would seem that AIR style curries will be to some extent different to that found in the UK.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2019, 09:13 AM »
Wasn't that Adie ?
** Phil.

Hmmm ... yes, but I thought they were the same. Perhaps not.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2019, 09:28 AM »
Well, "Addy" is from the Midlands; I thought Adie was from (or in) Lincolnshire or somewhere near there ...

Addy
cooking...
Male, 48, from Midlands

Living the dream,,,,, No, I actually am!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 10:06 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

©2024 Curry Recipes