Author Topic: How do you know when you are "there" ?  (Read 35503 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: How do you know when you are "there" ?
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2019, 09:56 AM »
The cultural diversity of Australia is rapidly expanding. I can't speak to the background of past or present AIR owners and chefs. Most restaurants state Mughlai and or Punjabi foods.  I do not doubt that the dishes here are not identical to true old school BIR. I just don't think they are too different today based on what I'm cooking using the information on this forum and what I can buy. Very similar to my tastes.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2019, 10:08 AM »
...and most BIRs these days wouldn't know a bhuna if one bit their ankles.

Amen to that. Although even then I know we differ on why. I believe for you, apart from the flavour, the essence is that of a thick sauce in traditional bhuna fashion. Whereas for me the bhuna was, in texture, pretty much like any other savoury curry I'd had; the real difference was the unique savoury flavour it had. Quite different to any other savoury curry and utterly moreish. By pure accident, in the early days of my BIR experimentation, I reproduced the flavour precisely. Did I record the technique and ingredients for posterity? No! I could cry, really I could. I've even half-heartedly considered visiting a hypnotist to see if they can dredge the memory from my subconscious.

And this American spell checker is so f'ing annoying. If I want to spell it savoury and flavour, I will by God! It makes me want to punch the screen!  >:(

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2019, 10:31 AM »
The "American spelling checker" is almost certainly an artifact of your web browser rather than of the site; I can enter "savoury", "flavour", "colour" and so on without any problen, whereas if I enter "savory", "flavor" or "color", all three are red-underlined.

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2019, 10:43 AM »
The "American spelling checker" is almost certainly an artifact of your web browser...

Ohhhh! Is that something that can be changed? I'm using Waterfox which is an offshoot of Firefox.

Edit: it appears it can only be turned on or off. No option for BE spell checker.  >:(

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2019, 10:50 AM »
You should install either the British English version of Waterfox or download the British English language pack and dictionary.  I am assuming that the options for Waterfox are similar to those for Seamonkey, which I use and which is also a Firefox derivative.  See also https://github.com/MrAlex94/Waterfox/issues/291

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2019, 12:06 PM »
Actually there is an option "Locale Select" which is set to English (British) so it would seem it's not the browser? [Sorry all for derailing the topic by the way]

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2019, 12:44 PM »
But what is the default dictionary, and did you follow the link I sent ?

Set locale to en-GB, but default dictionary is still en-US. Unable to load en-GB dictionary.

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2019, 02:06 PM »
But what is the default dictionary, and did you follow the link I sent ?

I did not ... temporarily went link-blind. But I can now see that that is the problem. Problem is when trying to install the language pack it says I can't because I'm version 57.0 and it needs 66.0 and I am on the latest update of Waterfox. At least I know what the problem now is though so thanks for that.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2019, 04:20 PM »
OK, after an almost infinite amount of faffing around I can finally send this using Watefox without red underlines : colour vigour humour rigour etcour (OK, not the last !).
And with red underlines :  color vigor humor rigor etcor.

Don't ask me how many of my steps were unnecessary, but the last one (and therefore the one that appears to have made the difference) was to install british_english_dictionary-1.19.1.1-typefix-sm+tb+fx.xpi

And then right-click in the "reply" dialogue (:)) box  and select Languages > English (United Kingdom).

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2019, 12:06 PM »
And then right-click in the "reply" dialogue (:)) box  and select Languages > English (United Kingdom).

I don't see any ""reply" dialogue box". Where is that? I've got the languages option now but it only has American English as an option. I've installed the only two language packs I can find.

©2024 Curry Recipes