Author Topic: How do you know when you are "there" ?  (Read 35514 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: How do you know when you are "there" ?
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2019, 08:01 PM »
Back on topic.  I see that in Andy's very first post (Andy's post being the one that was missing), he wrote :

and the very careful flavour enhancing in 90 per cent of all dishes.

I have stressed the part that most struck me ...

** Phil.

Any particular thoughts on that Phil?  It seems to have slipped through the net at the time.

(Did you mean to put this in the thread about the missing posts?)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2019, 08:44 PM »
Any particular thoughts on that Phil?  It seems to have slipped through the net at the time.

Not really; "very careful flavour enhancing" definitely suggests an additive, but MSG ?  Doesn't feel right to me.  What else might it be ?

(Did you mean to put this in the thread about the missing posts?)

Again, not really, but I wasn't really thinking too hard when I posted it, I just wanted to draw fellow curry buff's attention to what I though an interesting (and definitely early) post.

** Phil.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2019, 08:51 PM »
OK, I am now working my way through Andy's posts (very interesting reading) and I see he writes "the special paste that is added to nearly all of the dishes produced in the restaurant/take-away".  I shall keep reading
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 11:06 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2019, 08:55 PM »
If you read Andy's "vindaloo 10 year" recipe thread you will see mention of Msg as an optional enhancer, decision to include it determined by sense of smell (odd). It is not included in the listed ingredients but appears in the method.  Also of note is the inclusion of Aromatic Salt, in itself containing trace amounts of up to 6 or more spices. I'd imagine his other recipes contain similar advice.

I was doing same thing Phil.

Chicken Madras has exact same recommendation. Step 6) in method.

He was a big fan of TRS tandoori Masala, asafoetida, the pre-cooked onion paste and Aromatic Salt. Plus Msg. HIS idea of the BIR flavour perhaps.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 09:10 PM by livo »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2019, 10:41 PM »
"Let me first say that the pot of hot oil as well as being used for curries etc. is also used, with the addition of a wire basket for the frying of onion bhaji?s, samosas, king prawn butterfly, chicken rolls, keema rolls and occasionally chips. The oil therefore is always getting infused with the release of spices from the above produces. Therefore the oil takes on a slight aromatic and smoky smell. It is topped up with fresh oil when it becomes too low for the wire basket to be able to fry the above."

What was that I was saying earlier?  ;D

As msg is a flavour enhancer, we can tell when cooking the depth of flavour based on the aroma coming off. Adding msg does change the aroma.

Nahhh, I'm not having that.

"We do not have a single bought curry paste on the premises."

Just like it used to be in the old days. This just confirms all I've been saying about why the "taste" and "smell" have disappeared (for those lucky enough to have been around when it existed).

P.S. Phil I don't know if you could get Tom to delete all the spell checker stuff that I unintentionally sidetracked the thread with? I didn't expect it to go on so long.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2019, 10:48 PM »
P.S. Phil I don't know if you could get Tom to delete all the spell checker stuff that I unintentionally sidetracked the thread with? I didn't expect it to go on so long.
Already requested, Santa, as soon as I set up the Waterfox thread.
** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2019, 11:09 PM »
Already requested, Santa, as soon as I set up the Waterfox thread.
** Phil.

Thanks Phil.

Now, that base: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?action=profile;u=1186;area=showposts;start=130

I swear, if you took every base that's been published on the forum and mixed them all up then you'd probably end up with Andy's base! Have you ever seen a base with so many ingredients? I'll be making it though when I've gathered the ingredients I'm lacking ... which is most!

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2019, 11:53 PM »
It is certainly a long winded recipe with lots of ingredients.  I was just posting about his "scale" thoughts.  It certainly may take my recent inquiry about using Fennel bulb. It has everything but in it.  It is interesting to read CA's take on it very late in the thread, where he says that Stage 1 is a good base for mild curries but after Stage 2 spices are added it would be unsuitable for Korma, Passanda etc.

PS: The spell checker section had me stretched.   ???  Glad you're trying to have it removed.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2019, 08:31 AM »
Stage 1 is a good base for mild curries but after Stage 2 spices are added it would be unsuitable for Korma, Passanda etc.

It's an issue I have with many of the bases we see on this forum, some of which claim to be from genuine BIRs. A long time ago I proposed that the true test of a base was whether it could be used in a korma or not. That would be even more the case with mango chicken for example. It just seems obvious to me that you can't use a well-seasoned base for a korma because it wouldn't be palatable to the people who eat it. Most people who choose to eat Korma do so because it's sweet, lacking in spice and in particular lacking in chilli heat.

That's why I'm a proponent of bases like Kris Dhillon's because it's really neutral and can be used in anything. You can always add spicing at the curry stage but you can't take it out if it's already in the base.

Fortunately for me I can't abide most mild/creamy "curries" so I'd be quite happy with this base.

Also I'm wondering if this subject shouldn't be moved to an "Andy's curries" thread as it's not totally on topic here.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2019, 08:52 AM »
By 1st February 2007 Andy had clearly become totally p1ss@d off with the negativity he was receiving, and posted no more.  A great loss to the forum, IMHO, and one we have seen over and over again.

I don't think you were on the forum at that time Pete and it wasn't as clean cut as it may seem now. I think this is the Andy who went on to form the RCR forum. And notwithstanding the interesting recipes he submitted, my limited memory of that time was that his sole intention was to drum up support for that forum. I have a feeling that might be why the posts were "archived".

©2024 Curry Recipes