Author Topic: KD-base/PT  (Read 21588 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: KD-base/PT
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2018, 10:25 PM »
I'm not saying it has to be done, or even can Phil.  You would know better than I with this particular base gravy.  I like oil and I'm not afraid of it as are some.  I eat heaps of fatty foods and my fasting lipids have never been cause for concern.  As I said very early, I'm yet to make this base (as far as I recall).  I'm fairly sure, however, that if extra oil were present (160 ml for example) and it was cooked to separation point, as is required in some base recipes, then oil could possibly be removed as the last step, if so desired.  Mind you I had all sorts of trouble obtaining oil separation with the Saffron base and it was meant to happen by cooking further after blitzing.  In some base recipes and subsequent discussion, oil separation is the indicator of completion.

When actually read, my original comment about oil was in response to CarpCarp appearing to question the "level of oiliness" in the base after you had already provided the quantitative answer to my initial question earlier.  What was CarpCarp actually asking?  My comment was a simple statement of what is done with some bases in general. Not specific to this recipe.

Here we are 3 pages later trying to explain the 2 sentences I wrote.  A simple statement of what could be done if CarpCarp (in his / her very 1st post on the forum) had any concern about your stated reaffirmation of KD's originally printed amount of oil.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:36 PM by livo »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2018, 12:10 AM »
A good correction Phil. 120ml give or take is the average.

Actually, the average of 118, 142 and 160 is precisely 140.  No smiley sticker for that calculation CarpCarp.  :( Plus, if the KD book, Phil and you use a UK measuring spoon the correct amount used is also 140 ml.

CarpCarp

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2018, 01:21 AM »
Phil questions please, did you achieve good results with your lamb karahi today. I

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2018, 08:51 AM »
Not yet eaten the lamb, CC, other than to test it for softness.  I cooked it in a large round cast-iron casserole (Le Creuset or similar), starting by softening the onions until they were transparent, then adding the masala, stirring, mixing and cooking that with the onions until I judged that it was ready, then added the lamb and stirred and lifted it until all was evenly coated.  I then cooked it on a low heat with the lid on, stirring occasionally (after removing the lid !) and finally turned it off while I went off to the hotel.  When I got home circa 23:00 I checked that it was done (by eating one piece).  I noticed that the initial strongly-spiced and "edgy" flavour has now gone and I am left with a much milder spicing, so I will probably use it to make a more conventional curry (with g/g paste, fresh spices and base) when I am ready to eat it.  Not yet ready to try it today

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2018, 09:50 AM »
If the KD book, Phil and you use a UK measuring spoon the correct amount used is also 140 ml.

I have three editions of The Curry Secret, dated 1996, 2008 & 2011, and although over time Kris moves from an imperial system of weights and measures to a metric system (giving the other system in parentheses), at no point does she gloss "one tablespoon" or attempt to express it in more formal units.  However, the 2011 edition (The New Curry Secret) has a short chapter on weights and measures, and there she glosses one tablespoon as 15ml (UK), 14.8ml (USA) and 20ml (Oz).  She also writes "all spoon measurements are slightly rounded", which is also how I measure such things.

** Phil.

CarpCarp

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2018, 12:57 PM »
Can't wait to see where this goes.

I'm yet to make this base (as far as I recall).

Oh, Boy!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 01:16 PM by CarpCarp »

CarpCarp

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2018, 01:05 PM »
Phil thank you for the detailed explanation, the lamb Kharhi sounds truly delicious and I hope it is just as tasty as you have detailed. I

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2018, 01:35 PM »
I really don't think you can go wrong by starting with her chicken curry / Madras / Vindaloo (all based on the same recipe)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 05:17 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Ouch!  :-X

CarpCarp

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2018, 09:54 PM »
Thank you Phil for the kind recommendation and link you provided, I will start with the basic Curry sauce and your interpretation. Over time I made Most of the recommendations for gravy on this forum including alternative forum favourites. KD
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 10:07 PM by CarpCarp »

©2024 Curry Recipes