Author Topic: KD-base/PT  (Read 21389 times)

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: KD-base/PT
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2018, 02:30 PM »
I had to check my measuring spoons after reading this thread yesterday and whether it is to make the maths simple or not, they are labelled as
1 tbl - 15ml
1 dst - 10ml
1 tsp - 5ml
1/2 tsp - 2.5ml.
Since 'wet' ingredients usually have a meniscus and always leave a coating behind, I have never been too scientific about exact measuring, especially if 'heaped' is used to describe some of the dry spices in the recipe and it also depends on the cooking temp and duration as well.

However, may I ask about the use of a pressure cooker? My parents had one in the mid/late 70's and my lasting memory of them is being shooed away into another room whilst they tried to remove the contents.  It was not unlike an episode of Danger UXB if you ever watched it.  So having never used one, I presume it merely cooks quicker without losing any moisture?  Would a large pan with secure lid and a sprinkle (scientific quantity ;) ) more water do the same job but take a lot longer?

Thanks in Advance.
BAJ

CarpCarp

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2018, 03:30 PM »
Hi, you will be just fine please don
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 04:04 PM by CarpCarp »

CarpCarp

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2018, 04:03 PM »
Phil I hope you don
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:27 PM by CarpCarp »

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2018, 04:14 PM »
Hi CarpCarp,

Maybe my post didn't come across too clearly as I was trying to point out that scientific measurements were not practical.

My question about the pressure cooker was probably better stated as "I only have a bad experience from childhood, can I use a normal pan and add a little more water to compensate for evaporation during cooking?".

Thanks,
BAJ

CarpCarp

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2018, 04:19 PM »
Sounds good to me, I used a large stainless pot for years. Important to be a thicker bottom pot to prevent burning sticking. Thanks

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2018, 07:15 PM »
However, may I ask about the use of a pressure cooker? My parents had one in the mid/late 70's and my lasting memory of them is being shooed away into another room whilst they tried to remove the contents.  It was not unlike an episode of Danger UXB if you ever watched it.  So having never used one, I presume it merely cooks quicker without losing any moisture?  Would a large pan with secure lid and a sprinkle (scientific quantity ;) ) more water do the same job but take a lot longer?

First of all, in my opinion modern pressure cookers are very safe when used correctly

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2018, 08:53 PM »
I wasn't sure if the benefit from cooking at a faster rate was to keep flavour in, which it probably does as there can't be any loss through evaporation.  I also wasn't sure if this was something used in BIR kitchens to accelerate the rate ingredients were available for orders.

I am cooking some beef on a very slow heat at the moment and will use some base I have left over from a previous member's recipe to try a bhuna but I am running out of base and almost out of onions, I have been browsing the last couple of days for a new base and decided to give this a go.

Thank you for clearing up my concerns.
BAJ

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2018, 09:01 PM »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2018, 09:05 PM »
I am cooking some beef on a very slow heat at the moment and will use some base I have left over from a previous member's recipe to try a bhuna but I am running out of base and almost out of onions, I have been browsing the last couple of days for a new base and decided to give this a go.

I don't have any experience of using beef in a curry, but for me a bhuna should need little if any base,  Please see my "Baseless bhuna" post for my thoughts on this subject.

** Phil.

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2018, 09:57 PM »
I don't have any experience of using beef in a curry, but for me a bhuna should need little if any base,  Please see my "Baseless bhuna" post for my thoughts on this subject.

** Phil.

Haha, indeed, I am almost base less and having used Mutton, Lamb, Pork (yeah I know) and Beef in the past, having a little raw diced Beef left over, I thought since it was Christmas, I would do the right thing and use up the leftovers.  I can't say yet that it is going to be any good but "waste not, want not" and I thought worthy of a try.  I will be finished in a few hours, try to remember to take a photo or two and if it is any good, I will post them, if not, I am glad to see we don't have a "Hall of Shame" as I would probably have to post the pic there.  :-\

©2024 Curry Recipes