Author Topic: KD-base/PT  (Read 21380 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: KD-base/PT
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2018, 11:28 PM »
Are you cooking in a commercial kitchen CarpCarp? or do you have an industrial cooktop at home?

Using a pressure cooker for base gravy is primarily about the speed of cooking (with the possible advantage of probably less mess). A 3 hour boiled pot base can be done in 1 hour as Chewy Tikka's examples illustrate very effectively. The same basic ingredients and the time taken is significantly reduced.  There should be very little discernible difference in the finished base gravy.

CarpCarp

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2019, 08:13 PM »
Just about to bang out another batch of base tonight, I

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2019, 08:30 PM »
Crikey, you must make way more curries than I

CarpCarp

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2019, 09:10 PM »
Ha! Yes Phil I do a lot of cooking at home with a large family, some of my recent currys inclusive of large amounts of oil are bulk, whole Chicken used as described in topics.  So yes I

Offline stevepaul

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2019, 07:49 PM »
You're right Phil, this does make a great base. Haven't made it in a fair while so did a half batch this afternoon using a pressure cooker. Don't know why I moved on to other bases, but I guess we like to try other recommendations.  However, the KD does stand up there alongside the others IMHP.

Only cooked the onion mix for 30mins but it came out just fine. When the base was completed I could have ate it as a very mild curry and I don't think I'd alter it much to take it up to a madras or vindaloo. Perhaps just stick to the book.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2019, 11:15 AM »
Thanks for the confirmation of my thoughts on this, Steve, and delighted that you enjoyed the Madras you made with the KD base.
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes