Author Topic: New bir channel  (Read 26233 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New bir channel
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2019, 06:50 PM »
Have you actually tried the Supreme brand? Would you recommend them? There's several brands on eBay and Amazon but no way of knowing how good they are.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2019, 07:01 PM »
Have you actually tried the Supreme brand? Would you recommend them? There's several brands on eBay and Amazon but no way of knowing how good they are.

I bought two packets in Blackburn last year, only recently opened the 2nd. Never noticed a loss of flavour.
I did take a photo of my own packet but its been so long since I posted a pic that I'd forgotten the original cro link that I used to use.  ::)

P.s. maybe worth asking the best before date if purchasing online.

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2019, 09:21 PM »

I have. I have tried several products by Supreme and this is one where I know Phil will be interested to know that I consider them to be the most inconsistent Brand on the market.  TRS are better but the best are East End, all available in the UK.

The Powders can be different colours (packets with the same date and stored on the same shelf, out of direct sunlight at 2 of my local asian supermarkets)  and they don't always taste the same, I often taste test chilli powder to check the 'heat' and Curry powder to see if it tastes 'flowery'.  In the case of the 'Curry Powder', sometimes it is, powder, and sometimes it contains halves of Bay Leaf and whole seeds.  Inconsistent production process.  Another reason I chose to buy a wet/dry grinder, to make it myself.

I like to make batches of Aloo Chana over the winter months when I can get hold of 'old' potatoes.  The 'flowery' Curry Powders always seems to change it from a creamy white to a very light green, visually unappealing.  I asked staff at one of the supermarkets about the green colour and they said, 'yeah, it does mine too'.  So I don't buy it anymore.

I hope that helps.
BAJ

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2019, 09:29 PM »
Not familiar with the Supreme brand at all, but I shall now know to avoid it !  For normal spices I use all of Khanum, MDH, Mehran, Laziza, Top-Op, TRS, and even Barts in an emergency, but my Indian bay are from Jay Bharat Spices Pvt. Ltd. of Orissa, India.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:07 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline ChickenTroll

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2019, 11:56 AM »
Asian bay by TRS

Offline fitdog

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2019, 05:10 PM »
Just watching some of these, good channel comes across really well.

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2019, 04:54 PM »
Check out latifs new recipe, to include the use of base gravy, and list of ingredients. In Bir style

https://youtu.be/WZLFHYpHsuQ
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 07:50 PM by pap rika »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2019, 09:44 PM »
I really enjoy watching Latif's videos.  Informative, entertaining and inspirational.

It was good to see him actually using his onion gravy. His other dishes (that I've seen) haven't used it which made me begin to wonder why he'd bothered to show how he made it.  As such, this dish is actually "Restaurant Style".

Balti:  This dish ticked several boxes that are variously applied to the naming of a Balti dish.  1) Everything prepared together in a single pan (but not the serving pan).  2) The use of a Balti Paste for provision of the Balti spices flavour.  and  3) Served (but not cooked) in the Balti Pan,  He explains why he cooks and serves in different containers and this is a fair and reasonable point.

Towards the end of the video he says "There you go, exactly as the customers would have it".  At 3:30 he says he would "normally use my mixed powder" but then goes on to use individual powders and curry powder.  Why not just use the mixed powder ? It is possible that these individual spices are in the exact ratios of his mixed powder though, so he may have just provided his formula.  I'll have another look at that.  Another point  is his reference to using Patak's Balti paste at home and then explaining that he makes his own using yogurt, kasoori methi and other spices.  I'd really like to know that preparation as well.

This does look like a tasty dish.  Might be one for my next batch of tikka in the tandoor.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2019, 09:58 PM »
So that would be the usual from this channel then......not giving all the information.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2019, 10:09 PM »
I got bored with him for not showing what he's actually serving to the customers.

©2024 Curry Recipes