Author Topic: New bir channel  (Read 26226 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: New bir channel
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 12:03 PM »
Biting on a whole cardamom pod or clove that slipped through was always part of the Indian experience for me.

For me, biting on a concealed cardamom pod was the highlight of the meal.  I had no idea what they were, but they exploded into a ball of intense flavour, and it took me years before I no longer found the experience exciting.

** Phil.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 01:06 PM »
Having watched a few of his other videos now, I see no reason to think he's sharing any of his restaurant recipes. He's cooking a kind of hybrid to please some of his customers and to promote his brand.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 01:39 PM »
.  I didn't notice the prawns Les but my viewing was not scrutinising.

Nor mine Livo, just noticed them as he was showing the curry in the pan. 

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 03:18 PM »
Thank you Pap rika.

I have just finished watching this and some of you will already know what I am about to say, so I won't disappoint you.

Interesting to me is the lack of oil, some in the base gravy, greatly diluted and some in the curry with his personal comment at 13:35.  I also noticed that when he was making the base he added 'steaming' tomato puree (3:00).  When he makes the curry later he adds 1 tsp, corrected to 1 chef's spoon of tomato puree which he mentions "has been cooked down with a little garlic" (14:20).  I suspect the tomato puree in the base was made with hot water but it could have been some of the 'reduced' puree used in the curry?

Like all long time chefs/cooks, he is used to doing everything 'by eye', especially when it came to putting the 1 tsp of garlic and ginger in the beginning of his curry which looked to me more like 1 tbsp (12:20).

I guess the secret that is being kept is the mix powder that he makes (13:55).

I will have to view this several times to make a note of the ingredient quantities and give it a go in a curry with either Chewytikka's Mix Powder (looks very similar) or CA's Mix Powder (simplest/least ingredients).

BAJ

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 03:43 PM »
Putting raw lamb in the madras?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 08:43 PM »
Interesting stuff but nothing new. They appear to be a mix of BIR style...the madras in the base sauce video for example, and traditional... like the chilli-chicken staff curry. Problem is he calls them all "Restaurant Style" whereas most appear to be along traditional lines rather than using base sauce.

And if you believe he's adding water to the curries so as to use less oil when the camera's not on him then there's no hope for you (or your curries). it's about as believable as restaurants that claim to be cooking with olive oil. There's much in these videos that strikes me as being for the video only and not something that he would be doing in practice.

@Livo, the base sauce is akin to 90% of other bases you'll find on this site with the exception of the added cream. That again is nothing new but is far less common. KD's base is far less involved and is likely to stand out as different from most bases because of that.

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 08:51 PM »
I was given the link over xmas, watched a few.

Good cameraphone vids and good curry, apart from the cheesy chips. Lol. ;D

Every Bangladeshi restaurant cooks their base gravy to their own style
this is Latifs take on it for YouTube viewers and will work well.
Looks like a successful business with plenty of happy customers

Doing the Baghar first is unusual, but the end result is just the same.
Combining everything for pressure cooking gives the same result but
cooks it much quicker and I feel, better.

He maybe should have mentioned, bringing it back to the boil after blending
to lose the yellow (Haldi) opaque look, its finished when it leaves the the Chefs spoon clean
just like he showed in the other big pot.

Its a very clean, open kitchen with 5 stars, nothing is kept on the floor
So not sure what your talking about Les.

cheers Chewy

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 08:58 PM »
Thanks SS. Exactly as I've found with all the different bases I've made. They all make curry.  This guy does say that making a single curry from ingredients is better but the base gravy method is a necessary short cut in the high turnover cooking to order business. Nothing surprising about that for anybody familiar with BIR method.

CT, it looks ok to me as well. More than one way to achieve similar end result.

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 09:12 PM »
Its a very clean, open kitchen with 5 stars, nothing is kept on the floor
So not sure what your talking about Les.

cheers Chewy

CT, I never said it was on the floor, I said in boxes (more than one) on the floor with no lid's on them, and under the burners, and you don't know what S**t is falling of the bottom and the heat also, We are talking shellfish here,
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:41 PM by Les »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 10:09 PM »
My guess would be that there is a removable drip tray under the burners as the containers are on storage shelves. It would be poor design to have fall through.  If they are prawns (possibly are) and likely to be used soon on that trading day I'd say there is no real problem but a fridge would be better.

What would be the red sauce in the big back pot in the first part of the video? Makhani gravy perhaps..

©2024 Curry Recipes