Author Topic: Latif inspired base and chicken madras  (Read 9021 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Latif inspired base and chicken madras
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 11:30 PM »
we should be doing as has MA and actually making it to see how it goes and then adjusting these indeterminate quantities to suite our own individual preference

Should we though? Or should we be doing our level best to copy his version as exactly as we can so as to determine if his product is worthy of consideration? If you mess around with the quantities and it's to your taste, all well and good, but who's to say the accurate version wouldn't have been better?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 11:46 PM »
Correct in every way SS.  However until such times as Latif's Inspired presents an accurately measured list of ingredients, and same for his tomato puree, this will unfortunately not be possible.  This may not ever occur.  My past experience has shown me that "minor" adjustments, modifications and assumptions are an essential part of my cooking (geographically forced in some instances).  I will be making this base (best guess) and I expect that it will be quite acceptable and possibly even good.  CT has expressed that it really isn't too different to other bases / gravies and in particular, his own.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 07:27 PM »

Should we though? Or should we be doing our level best to copy his version as exactly as we can so as to determine if his product is worthy of consideration? If you mess around with the quantities and it's to your taste, all well and good, but who's to say the accurate version wouldn't have been better?

Why don't you go and make it then SS, with your quantities, if your not sure message Latif and ask him. Then when you've made it and posted your results you will have made a positive contribution to the forum, for a change, rather than always been so negative!

Perhaps rather than nit-pick about precisely how many ml of oil, tomato puree or cream is in the pretty Balti Bowl shown in the video, (a non-SI measuring vessel, as is a Chef's spoon) we should be doing as has MA and actually making it to see how it goes and then adjusting these indeterminate quantities to suite our own individual preference and / or other odd containers in the back of the cupboardnight
Thanks Livo

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 12:56 PM »
It is utterly brainless to suggest that to copy a curry you see being cooked on YouTube you should always follow whatever quantities the chef in question throws out by way of commentary as he's thinking about a dozen other things at the same time.

If he said he was adding an African elephant to the curry but you saw him putting a small spoon of mix powder in, which would you add when trying to reproduce the recipe?

SS may or may not be negative, but he's normally right on the money in terms of calling out BS when it happens!

littlechili

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 05:29 PM »
Nice looking Madras Andy, still like it Spicy I see  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes