Author Topic: "the largest defeat for a sitting government in history"  (Read 9972 times)

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: "the largest defeat for a sitting government in history"
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2019, 07:05 AM »
What next? Well nobody knows for sure, but I doubt something this important is really lurching along out of control, as it has been made to appear. Probably there's an underlying plan playing out, maybe one hatched right after the referendum went "the wrong way".(who really thought Cameron intended to offer a route out of the EU?)

2 years of getting nowhere. Present a deal which will not be acceptable to either remain or leave and thereby guarantee the thing can't happen.

So., what happens next, at least a delayed Brexit and probably a 2nd referendum once enough time has passed to justify the need for one. A second vote too soon will justifiably be shouted down by the winners from last time. Kick the can far enough down the road and you can legitimately say that it seems the public opinion has changed and thus a second referendum to get "the right result" becomes a defensible option.

So, was I wrong?  From where I am sitting, Mrs May has achieved exactly what she set out to do - navigate the country to a point where Brexit cannot be delivered and thus defeat what the senior Tories saw as the

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2019, 10:33 AM »
Personally i think the first referendum should have been declared unlawful as it was carried out in complete ignorance of what the outcome would be, even at this stage nobody has got a bloody clue about what will happen.

That said i know chaps that we will all keep a stiff upper lip, fix Bayoleaves put on our best tumerics and Curry on.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2019, 11:07 AM »
From where I am sitting, Mrs May has achieved exactly what she set out to do - navigate the country to a point where Brexit cannot be delivered and thus defeat what the senior Tories saw as the
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:49 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2019, 12:13 PM »
There is a brilliant post on FB at the moment stating that knife crime has just gone up beyond belief in UK - 17.4 million people stabbed in the back !
That just about sums up how abysmally our MPs treat democracy and probably demonstrates, like Justice, Democracy is a figment of someones very fertile imagination.

A stitch up from day one.  Roll on election time.  A lot of MPs should be polishing their CVs - that is if they ever had one to fall back on.  Not a lot of call for a career politician in the real world.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2019, 12:31 PM »
There is a brilliant post on FB at the moment stating that knife crime has just gone up beyond belief in UK - 17.4 million people stabbed in the back !
That just about sums up how abysmally our MPs treat democracy and probably demonstrates, like Justice, Democracy is a figment of someones very fertile imagination.

A stitch up from day one.  Roll on election time.  A lot of MPs should be polishing their CVs - that is if they ever had one to fall back on.  Not a lot of call for a career politician in the real world.

It was Teresa that cut the Police numbers back when she was Home Secretary so now she is having to suck up the Karma, as for her outrageous comment about Knife crime not being affected by lower police numbers. ::)........I rest my case

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2019, 12:46 PM »
I just read about a most appalling case of knife crime in Knightsbridge
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:05 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile