Author Topic: Suggestions for a Curry in London?  (Read 7948 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Suggestions for a Curry in London?
« on: January 20, 2019, 01:14 PM »
So

This Scottish peasant is heading down to the Big Smoke for a weekend at the end of March to visit my daughter. She lives in Southwark. We will have at least one curry on Saturday evening and possibly one takeaway on Friday or Sunday, or I might get some street food when I land. Suggestions welcome - I am of course aware of Brick Lane and will probably visit there but am happy to go anywhere within reasonable travelling time on the tube.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for a Curry in London?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 03:02 PM »
Sadly I cannot meet you on this occasion, Stephen, as I now live in Cornwall.  When George, Mick and I met, it was at the Agra in Whitfield Street, but although it was still in the same family the standards had sadly fallen.  Lahore One in Commercial Road, if you stick to the kebabs and mango lassi, is still great, and I would be interested to know whether Vijay's in Kilburn is still as good as it always was.  Apart from that, no suggestions.

** Phil.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 06:22 PM »
Sadly I cannot meet you on this occasion, Stephen, as I now live in Cornwall.  When George, Mick and I met, it was at the Agra in Whitfield Street, but although it was still in the same family the standards had sadly fallen.  Lahore One in Commercial Road, if you stick to the kebabs and mango lassi, is still great, and I would be interested to know whether Vijay's in Kilburn is still as good as it always was.  Apart from that, no suggestions.

** Phil.

Thanks for this Phil, it would have been great to have met you. I'll research these places though.

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 05:34 PM »
Hi Stephen,

I'd give Brick Lane a miss if I were you, you could try Halal which is not far for the tube, the chef formally worked in Clifton's which was one of the first curry houses on brick lane when the curries were good in Brick Lane, now most places are pretty average, Halal is the oldest in the east end and open in 1939.

https://www.halalrest.co.uk/

For more traditional try Lahore as Phil said or Needoo grill.

https://needoogrill.co.uk/

London.

Offline adamski

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 06:51 PM »
Halal in Aldgate now there is a memory from the past. I used to work around the corner from this place back in the late 80's. We used to go here for the occasional after work curry, You could have the option of chicken on the bone. All served on what looked like my mum's old china plates.

The menu used to be very basic just 3 or 4 curries and sundries.

:Looks like they have taken on the standard BIR bloated menu offering everything under the sun, Shame.

Offline adamski

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 06:53 PM »
Tayyabs in Whitechapel is very good, order the lamb chops you wont be disappointed (unless your vegetarian).

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 08:14 PM »
The lamb chops in Needoo are as good as Tayyabs and it's just around the corner, Tayyabs is usually very busy and the waiters tend to be quite rude, Needoo was open by a former Tayyabs manager so the food is about the same but without the wait for a table.

London.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 09:28 PM »
I'd be giving the Needoo Grill 2 days notice and having the Raan from the House Speciality menu.  ;)  Now there is a dish I'm going to investigate over the next few days.

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 09:48 PM »
I'd be giving the Needoo Grill 2 days notice and having the Raan from the House Speciality menu.  ;)  Now there is a dish I'm going to investigate over the next few days.
I've never eaten the Raan but it does like very tasty.

London.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 09:52 AM »
Tayyabs in Whitechapel is very good, order the lamb chops you wont be disappointed (unless your vegetarian).

:D

©2024 Curry Recipes