Author Topic: Chicken Jalfrezi  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Bob_McBob

• Chef
    • View Profile
Chicken Jalfrezi
« on: January 13, 2007, 12:04 PM »
Does anyone have a good chicken jalfrezi recipe that doesn't use pre-made spice mixtures and bases?  This is the only curry of this type I'm interested in making, so I'd prefer to do it from scratch.  I used to like getting it from one of the local Indian restaurants here, but I haven't been there for ages as I make all my own curries now.  What I remember is a somewhat thin, bright red sauce with lots of tomato, onion, and green pepper.  The chicken was stained red like tandoori chicken.

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Jalfrezi
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 02:51 PM »
Not my idea of Jalfrezi Bob, but I have seen the like.  I have posted some pics of the Jalfrezis we make.  Very easy to do, but we do have to use a little commercial paste in the process (like a lot of BIRs!) to give it the kick.  PM me and we can discuss off topic, but I am sure you will get innundated with suggestions anyway.
CP

Offline Bob_McBob

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 04:25 PM »
Hrm, anyone else?

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 05:17 PM »
Bob read your mail.
CP

Offline micky2

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 10:51 PM »
Hello Bob
I have recently joined but , have seen a great recipe for jalfresi off jimmyja. I have to say if this ( being my first recipe off this site ) is the standard  of this site then I have died & gone to heaven

Mick

Offline stubiethenoobie

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 05:41 PM »
just wondering if you can post us a link to that recipe micky, as it didnt turn up in my search of the site...

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 06:11 PM »
hi bob
found this in the archives as witnessed by george.it was a lamb jalfrezi.

(I bought a lamb jalfrezi from a BIR take away last night and thought some of my observations were worth reporting, just to add weight to much of what's been said before. The chef really looked like he knew what he was doing but, I must say, the flavour of the final dish was quite hot but otherwise devoid of much flavour. Very disappointing.

1. This dish and others he was cooking at around the same time, started off with oil and what looked like fresh garlic and ginger, rather than paste. He let that fry for at least a minute on high flame. The gas was on high all the time, for everything they were doing.

2. He then added quite a lot of what looked like fresh chopped onion. It didn't look pre-cooked to me, and let that cook for another minute or two.

3. Three or four shots of base sauce followed, at intervals, together with various other ingredients, most of which I couldn't start to guess at, he worked so fast.

4. Pre-cooked lamb cubes were obtained from a plastic box. 1 or 2 sliced green chillis were added. Green pepper was cut as I watched, from a fresh whole green pepper. The pepper and more sliced onions were then deep fried for about 45 secs in a metal basket lowered into a deep fat fryer, before being added to the curry. Fresh sliced tomatoes were also added, towards the end of the cooking time.

I hope this helps. Perhaps if they had a better mix of spices, like we use here at cr0, it would have tasted better!

Regards
George)

but if you can make a  quick base sauce( the sauce i use takes an hour to cook if you cook your chicken in pataks tandoori pase and some oil and fry it till firm to prod then use in the final dish it could take you an hour and half and your job is done.or follow my recipe posted for the rajver base sauce without the whole spices and then use the recipe for jalfrezi in the curryhouse cookery posting but adding pre fried onions and peppers then add them to the dish at the end.
hope this helps
regards
gary

©2024 Curry Recipes