Author Topic: Recipe Book Suggestions?  (Read 12980 times)

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Book Suggestions?
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 12:16 PM »
Quite frankly old chaps I am amazed.  I thought you may have pooh poohed the suggestion of this book, but I am sure you will love the outcomes - the flavours are magic and those of you old enough may recall the flavours when good quality BIRs first started.  Some of the recipes are quite daunting as they seem to contain so many ingredients, but perservere. 

You can modify some recipes as they were written in primitive times as it where so Mrs Singh didn't interfere with the originals too much to suit Western requirements. Example; she calls for Kachries in some recipes.  They (their enzymes) are used for tenderising tough meats  (the same enzymes were used by farmers in UK and Argentina prior to slaughter to tenderise the meat but this has been banned now).  The Kachri is a type of knobbly green Papaya and can be bought in Asian Grocers and occasionaly - supermarkets like Tesco.  I have tried using them and they do work and give a subtle taste to the meat.  Anyway, enough of the waffle.

Now before I get asked, The Tandoori group of restaurants did have pots of (curry) bases because I was shown them, but I have no idea what their composition was.  I suspect though they would be near Jaspers recipe as their bases were very mild but gently aromatic, they used a master base and two others I recall.  The types of sauces I use now came from these chefs, i.e. the onion barga base, tomato and onion base, plain onion base, fresh tomato pulp; also the GMs and basic spice mixes; all of which may have been sourced from Mrs B S!

You won't get results like your common or garden High St BIR, I think they are much better and you will like them for sure.  My book is covered in stains, especially where my favourites are!

Enjoy
CP

Offline King Prawn

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 03:37 PM »
My book is covered in stains, especially where my favourites are!

Enjoy
CP

Hmm...There's an answer to that somewhere but I can't for the life of me think of it! ;) 8) 8)

KP(V)

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 04:36 PM »
Hey Man that's funny.... oh that's funny.  ;D ;D :D :D Just re-read my post. :-[ :-[ :-[.  Mind you, whatever turns one on............ :o 8)

Offline King Prawn

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 09:46 AM »
Perhaps that bit was meant for a different group?  ;) 8)

KP(V)

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 09:18 PM »
Any recommendations from this book CP?

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 12:02 PM »
Hi Mark.  Assuming the page numbers are the smae, here are my favorites.
P45 KRJ - you can use Pataks Kasmiri Paste in this one.  P47 Doh Peeazah - use her GM. P49 Shahi Korma - the Bees Whotsists and a great family favourite. P54 TM use recipe Number 1.  P57 MM - this is what I mentioned way back was the inspiration for BIR CTM.

P60 -61 Both kebabs are very similar to BIR style, andvery tasty; a bit fussy ingredient wise but worth it.  The rest is up to you!  Also try her recipe for Gulab Jamun on P155.

That should keep you going ;D

CP

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2007, 09:15 PM »
Tried the Shahi Korma tonight, it was superb!

4oz ghee, and 150ml of cream means this one isnt for the health conscious but it was very nice indeed, all the family loved it.

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007, 01:40 PM »
Yep it is one of our favourites too.  Did you have any problems with the Rhu Kewra?

CP

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007, 06:52 PM »
I made a bit of a cockup with that, I have kewra water and rose water in 2 bottles, I accidently added rose water instead  :-\ luckily it turned out fine

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2007, 07:39 PM »
Mark it is basically the same stuff, I think one is more condensed that the other!  ??? ::) ;D  I use both so it doesn't matter.
CP

©2024 Curry Recipes