Author Topic: Curry Leaves  (Read 23416 times)

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Leaves
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2019, 09:47 AM »
So my curry leaf tree had started to grow, most likely through feeding and misting as well.  But I have found a few days ago that the growing tip was broken (dunno how) and has died....will it keep on growing do you think??  Either sprouting from the same place or from elsewhere?

Hi VT

The top of my plant was knocked off by a football which created a fork and new growth, so your plant should be fine, keep feeding it each time you water during the summer and back off from Oct and then just prevent the soil from drying out.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2019, 04:25 PM »
Good o'le Sunny Surrey

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2019, 06:05 PM »
My son has an 'App' that identifies most plants and I have asked him to identify my Bay Leaf Bush, the next time he is over (I aquired a small bush cutting from a very old family friend).  I recently read on here that some are ok and some are Poisonous!  I have not harvested any leaves yet, as you can tell from the fact I am still here!

Very wise

Offline vinotinto

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2019, 01:38 PM »
Hi Micky - thanks for this.  It is sprouting new growth so I may get another couple of small branches this year....there is no denying that they grow slowly - yours is a monster compared to mine :)

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2019, 07:27 PM »
your welcome Vino, remember cutting back in the spring will promote new growth, as does cutting back during the summer, misting the leaves with citrus food in the water is like taking an aspirin via IV instead of swallowing it, and bugs don't like wet leaves ;)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2020, 06:24 PM »
George you can get Curry leaf trees from "The Citrus Centre" keep them out of the frost and don't overwater, they are quite a resilient
plant.
Waiting for spring to arrive for new growth

You make it sound easy. I bought small plants similar to those sold by the Citrus Centre and found them the most impossible plant to grow EVER. I kept them at around 25C so it wasn't frost damage. Give slightly too much water - they die. Give slightly too little water - they die. Touch the ultra fragile roots and they fall off. It was an expensive experiment which failed. I am very envious of your success.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2020, 07:26 PM »
If its any help i kept my tree when i first got it in the conservatory, not good, it got scale insect.
So i moved it outside on the edge of the pond, where kids pllaying football broke the top off and knocked it into the pond.

After swearing and drying it out it has grown well, during the summer it lives in the garden away from footballs and in the winter it live in an outside cabin where temps can drop to 1 0r 2 deg but no frost. I have loads of leaves frozen and i take them fresh also.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2020, 10:14 AM »
Spring is in the air
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:29 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2020, 11:18 AM »
Strong wind from the East where you live, Micky !

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2020, 11:30 AM »
Gusty at times Phil, watering cans tumble across the back garden which is fortunately south facing.

©2024 Curry Recipes