Author Topic: Growing time disappointment  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Growing time disappointment
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2019, 07:57 PM »
Tin foil is the worst reflector, it absorbs more than it reflects.
Better off with matt white paint or fork out for some Mylar.

:)

Yup, don’t ever use tinfoil, emergency blankets on eBay are perfect and very cheap
You cant beat the heat

Offline tempest63

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2019, 08:25 PM »
I got some jalapeño, chocolate habanero, slim Jim’s, and scotch bonnets all growing from seed. Also some Padrons for the Spanish themed dinners.

I couldn’t find the naga and ghost seeds locally but will look for plugs in the local garden centres.

I’m hoping this season is better than last on the allotment as the drought last year meant nothing did very well.

T63

Offline tempest63

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2019, 08:31 PM »
It’s that time of the year when I start to think about starting off some chillis from seed. I have an 11x6 foot bed going spare at the allotment so went looking for a few of the less common seeds to pack it out with. Logged onto the Dorset Chilli website and saw that everyone else must have had the same idea...whole range sold out. I felt like Old mother Hubbard!

Back to the garden centre then for the usual suspects

https://www.dorsetchillishop.co.uk/category/seeds-and-growing-kits

Hi T.

Try https://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/online-shop/chilli-seeds/

Thanks for the link, I haven’t been very active so apologies for the delay. I will save the link for later in the year.

Offline JonG

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2019, 08:36 AM »
Well blow me down, I’ve ended up with 12 seedlings from 12 seeds! Either I’m better at this than I thought, or I got lucky with some easy to germinate seeds....

They’re all still pretty tiny and I haven’t sprung for any grow lamps, so I guess they will take their sweet time to grow. Some now have 4 leaves, others two.

Quite exciting really, I haven’t grown anything in years.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2019, 10:32 AM »
Good news Jon. Keep us posted :)

Offline JonG

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2019, 12:42 PM »
Hello

I now have about 7 or 8 green finger chillies on my plants - not a great yield from around 12 seeds I started back in Jan.

My question, as a first time chilli grower, is how do you know when to pick them?  They have been on the plant maybe 2 weeks now and do I wait for them to turn yellow or orange or red, or will that in fact happen after picking?

If I wait too long will the chillies go mushy?  Is it even possible to pick too soon or if there’s no mileage in waiting I may as well take them now.

Offline mickyp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2019, 03:30 PM »
Hi Jon,
From what i understand you can pretty much pick them when you want, if not ripe when picked they will not be as hot as if you let them go full term.

If not being used they tend to be either "dried out" by hanging in the sun, or frozen, did you feed them onnce the fruits had set? i remember a guy on youtube saying if you want plants to feed you, you have to feed them.
I havent got a greenhouse or poly tunnel so it is what it is, My Dorset Naga is only going to give a dozen or so.

Remove all fruit if you want to overwinter the plants and have a head start in the spring.....

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2019, 09:48 PM »
Hi Jon,
From what i understand you can pretty much pick them when you want, if not ripe when picked they will not be as hot as if you let them go full term.

If not being used they tend to be either "dried out" by hanging in the sun, or frozen, did you feed them onnce the fruits had set? i remember a guy on youtube saying if you want plants to feed you, you have to feed them.
I havent got a greenhouse or poly tunnel so it is what it is, My Dorset Naga is only going to give a dozen or so.

Remove all fruit if you want to overwinter the plants and have a head start in the spring.....

All sound advice, especially the feeding and de-fruiting.  I have also found that as the days shorten any flowers will fail to bear fruit and can also be picked off.  I also 'top off' my plants by picking out the top growth shoots to prevent the plant becoming 'leggy' as it tries to grow to the light and will in spring 'bush' out more, producing more fruit.

The only thing I would add is that if they are supposed to change colour, wait, let them and use/freeze when ripe.  If you are unsure, then when most fruits over-ripen, the skin will begin to wrinkle.  I have found the optimum time is right before that or when they literally are beginning to wrinkle.  Different fruit on the same plant will ripen at different times so no need to pick them all at the same time.

I hope that helps.

BAJ
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 03:27 AM by Bob-A-Job »
If you can learn something new and have a laugh, the day has not been wasted.

Offline JonG

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2019, 06:46 AM »
Thanks guys, I will probably pick them as it will be easy for me to forget them otherwise, and I don’t want wrinkled up dry chillies.

I guess there’s not much chance of overwintering a sunlight hungry plant like this, unless I want to invest in one of those grow lamps?  Next year I’ll try to start the seeds earlier, as it felt like I was playing catch up the whole time and only got small plants, just two of which bore chillies.

It’s been fun though, and proved that I can grow chillies at home. probably an earlier start next year and a bit more light in that initial stage after they sprouted will give me better results I hope.

Offline mickyp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2019, 08:15 AM »
No you don’t need a lamp, you just cut back the plant and keep the soil just moist, as long as it doesn’t go below zero you have a 50/50 chance of the plant surviving, they go dormant and look dead but awake in the spring, do not feed until you see signs of new buds..
There is stacks of stuff on YouTube about overwintering chilli plants, have a go

© 2019 Curry Recipes