Author Topic: Growing time disappointment  (Read 14401 times)

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Growing time disappointment
« on: February 08, 2019, 09:22 PM »
It

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Growing time disappointment
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 10:42 PM »
We've have had a remarkably hot and humid summer with higher than average rainfall this year. My little chilli bush has grown and extra 18" in height over the last month alone and is absolutely covered in red chillis with ample green ones as well.  They are very hot little things but I'm not sure exactly what variety.  I noticed the other day that my father's is even better than mine. We are fortunate enough to have temperate weather allowing for these plants to easily survive over the winter.

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 11:14 PM »
Indeed it is that time and I have also been considering for the last 2 weeks, which plants to grow this year (in 12" high pots, on a south facing windowsill, behind double glazing), if only I had a greenhouse, or a poly tunnel, or couple of acres...

I have my regular 'go to' favourites (Pictured below), which I have bought in places such as supermarkets, DIY stores and garden centres.

When I am deciding which to grow, it is about what do I intend to use them for, what am I cooking, how many do I want, what heat factor and what will the wife find most pleasing to look at - I still have not decided, I have a week or two more before it gets too late I think.

- The 'Paper Lantern' are hot-ish and defintely should not be harvested until the skin begins to shrivel, plants last 8 months.
- The 'Pinocchio's Nose' never get chance to ripen to red and I can eat them fresh from the plant, plants will last 12 months but even with feeding, fruit will reduce in size.
- The Patio 'Super Chilli' are abundant, quite hot once red and colourful for in the window (brownie points), plants will last 12-14 months.
- I have never had any luck with the Fresno but I have grown the Red Cherry.  Very slow growers (2 crops per season), very low yield with 7-8 fruit at a time (usually have to grow 3-4 plants at once, takes up the whole window, no brownie points) but they are hot and when sliced fresh from the plant, they will stain anything, gloves are strongly suggested.  With a little care, replanting in fresh soil during the winter and feeding during the rest of the year, I have grown these plants for 2-3 years (definitely no brownie points).

Hopefully will give some suggestions.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 04:10 PM »
Chilli Plug plants should be available in march, thats how i got my Dorset Naga's last year, i bought three, two of which didnt do well because the holes in the pots were too smalland didn't drain, they are currently all cut back to the stem in a cabin in the garden, hopefully come march they will liven up, easier to grow than from seed imo.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 11:51 AM »
Had a superchilli plant just hanging on from overwatering last year that still seemed green in its stems.  Saw flickers of green leaves sprouting in conservatory in December so brought it indoors where the leaves grew a little, watered a little when they began to droop and responded ok each time.  Suddenly largest leaves started to wilt and didn't respond to water - so repotted and added a little growmore granules.  Not looking good at all - so back into conservatory where at least it will catch some sun. Not exactly hopeful.  My dads green fingers I have not inherited !

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 12:22 PM »
You may be ok, just don't water it, even during the growing season feed em but let them dry out before feeding them, curry leaf trees and lemon trees are the same, My Naga plants look dead at the moment but hopefully spring will see them shoot again.

Offline JonG

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 08:26 AM »
You

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 08:55 AM »
When they have formed a strong set of leaves you can pot on to a warm sunny place, until that time keep them warm and the soil moist, move by holding the leaves and gently support the root from underneath, don't hold the stem, good luck :)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 02:08 PM »
I was also inspired, Jon, and planted three varieties about two and a half weeks ago. Germination hasn't been great but got seven seedlings so far :)

©2024 Curry Recipes