Author Topic: Climate change: Ban gas grid for new homes 'in six years'  (Read 10131 times)

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Climate change: Ban gas grid for new homes 'in six years'
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 12:22 PM »
Climate change is a fact of life - with Nature doing things to it on a scale we could never come close to - volcanoes one of the best examples.  History gives us periods of ice ages, tropical climates even in UK - and it will ever be thus. 
Stopping gas cookers / heating in UK is going to do naff all - especially when China is building coal fired power plants at an astronomical rate to bring its industry up to par with the West - https://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/12/02/the-truth-about-china-2400-new-coal-plants-will-thwart-any-paris-cop21-pledges/.  China have agreed to slow down in 2030 once they are up to speed !

Charcoal it is then - or log burners

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 12:31 PM »
Well, be honest

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 01:44 PM »
Interesting thought - they would need fewer of them - and why not if the technology was sorted.  The Chinese have a good trackre ord in getting stuff right - albeit they steal most of the technology / expertise, then improve on it

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 02:24 PM »
My belief is if there can be a nuclear disaster in Japan, it can happen anywhere.  The Japanese are (IMHO) amongst the most technologically sophisticated nations in the world.  Turbines, yes; nuclear energy no.  Also we still have no way of safely disposing of nuclear waste

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 04:23 PM »
There are containment ways for disposing of nuclear waste Phil.  I have been involved in concrete concerned for both building production facilities and waste containment.  Very stringent specifications.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 04:27 PM »
Agreed (that is what I meant by "glass") but all we are doing is burying it for future generations to worry about and ultimately dispose of properly.  As ecologically and socially irresponsible as overtly contributing to global warming, IMHO.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 05:00 PM »
As ecologically and socially irresponsible as overtly contributing to global warming, IMHO.

Not only is nuclear energy ecologically and socially responsible, it is an ecological and social necessity, at least until renewable energy (or other cleaner sources) are able to take up the base load in a reliable way.

If we continue to use fossil fuels for this purpose (which will eventually run out anyway), future generations will have a lot more serious issues to deal with than whether to disturb some nuclear waste or not.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2019, 05:02 PM »
I don't have children, and I don't plan to, but neither do I want my generation to leave their nuclear waste for future generations to have to deal with.

** Phil.

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2019, 05:05 PM »
Baseless beliefs?
Fine, I think everyone should forget the overwhelming consensus of the scientific community, that climate change is happening then and take your simple laymans views on it.

Are you referring to the 97%?

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2019, 05:57 PM »
I don't have children, and I don't plan to, but neither do I want my generation to leave their nuclear waste for future generations to have to deal with.

** Phil.

So you'd rather leave them with the consequences of further climate change?

©2024 Curry Recipes