Author Topic: Tandoori Masala ("Tandoori Spice Mix")  (Read 50778 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Tandoori Masala ("Tandoori Spice Mix")
« on: January 14, 2007, 12:39 PM »
Background:

This is a recipe for Tandoori Masala ("Tandoori Spice Mix") based on that in Pat Chapman's book "The Curry Bible".  Whatever else you may think of Pat Chapman and his books, try this Tandoori Masala, it is excellent!  I urge you to try it!  I have used it for many years and, unlike many other recipes, I have never felt the need to significantly modify it!  (I used it in my Chicken Tikka recipe here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1195.0)

You can use it in any Tandoori or Tikka dish and in place of any pre-bottled tandoori or tikka paste that may be specified in a recipe.  Also try adding a little (i.e. a teaspoon or so) to kebabs or other types of curry (e.g. vindaloo).

It can be kept, for many months, in a clean, sterilised, air-tight, jar stored in a cool, dark, place and out of direct sunlight

Makes about 210g - 235g of Tandoori Masala

Ingredients:

• 40g (about 8 teaspoons) coriander powder
  • 30g (about 6 teaspoons) cumin powder
  • 40g (about 8 teaspoons) garlic powder (not garlic salt!)
  • 40g (about 8 teaspoons) ground paprika
  • 20g (about 5 teaspoons) ginger powder
  • 20g (about 5 teaspoons) mango powder
  • 20g (about 5 teaspoons) dried mint leaves (finely ground)
  • 10g (about 2 teaspoons) chilli powder (optional)
  • 10g (about 2 teaspoons) powdered red food colouring (optional)
  • 5g   (about 1 teaspoon) powdered yellow food colouring (optional)

Method:

1.  Simply add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix thoroughly

2.  Store in a clean, sterilised, air-tight, jar in a cool, dark, place and out of direct sunlight

Notes:

1.  If you are unable to weigh to the required accuracy, use 1tsp = 5g (approximately)

2.  If any of the ingredients are too course (e.g. the mint leaves or garlic granules), grind them beforehand in a spice mill

3.  Half the quantities of artificial food colouring for a less vibrant colour

4.  If you are averse to using artificial food colourings (the colouring is aesthetic only anyway), either omit them or replace them with natural food colourings

5.  If you wish to use natural food colours, replace the artificial colours with 20g (about 4 teaspoons) of beetroot powder + 10g (about 2 teaspoons) of anatto seed powder

6.  To sterilise the jar, wash it in hot, soapy water, rinse it thoroughly, and dry it thoroughly, in an oven, at 100C
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:05 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Tandoori Masala (or "Tandoori Spice Mix")
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 12:54 PM »
Not wanting to be picky or anything, but I hate Pat Chapman, so you've forced my hand.   :)

While this recipe did originate from PC, it is in fact a recipe from one of the restaurants he pilfered the rest of his recipes from. It isn't his recipe.

YF

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 01:01 PM »
Yes, but you are being picky YF!  And it seems to me that you forced your own hand mate!  ::)

I also reckon there's a fair chance that PC would equally hate you!.....assuming he ever got to know of you of course!   ;)  :P

Plus I didn't say it was PC's recipe......I simply said it was from one of his books!  :P

And, anyway, it's execellent mate!  Go try it!  8)

Kindest regards!   ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 01:03 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline bart09

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 01:04 PM »
hi ca
i have got alot of indian cook books but only one on pat chapman called bangladeshi restaurant curries.
it has  a bangladeshi style garam masala
panch foran 3 recipes on this one (it`s a mixture of five-six spices in all 3 recipes)
cox`s bazaar hot sprinkler
akhni stock (a clear stock)
and many curry recipes

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 01:34 PM »
Blimey CA, you really want to make it hard for me don't you?   :'(

I know you didn't explicitly say it was PC's recipe, but any unbiased reader of your post will come away with the impression that it is PC's recipe, and it's not.

As to the recipe itself, it is very good, better than any of the shop bought pastes and I should know, I've been using it for nearly two decades.

YF

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 05:39 PM »
Do you all have scales accurate enough to weigh 5 grams, or do you use a spoon and then count out the appropriate multiples of each spice.  I'm not sure that's clear, but what I mean is, do you use a scale or a spoon to measure? 

BTW, the total seems to be about 235 grams, not 250, but maybe that's the difference between the American and Imperial methods of adding. :)

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 06:01 PM »
Hello merrybaker,

I have scales that can weigh to better than 0.1 mg, but that's another story.

My kitchen scales can measure to 1 gram and I usually use those as the weights aren't all that critical. However, the original recipe also had teaspoon and tablespoon equivalents. Perhaps Cory Ander can post those too. I don't have my copy with me so I can't help in that respect.

YF

Offline King Prawn

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 07:05 PM »
Check out argos. I got some digital scales that measure to 1g for about 10 or 15 quid. Not a bad investment when you think of the cost of take aways these days!

KP(V)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 11:53 PM »
Do you all have scales accurate enough to weigh 5 grams, or do you use a spoon and then count out the appropriate multiples of each spice.  I'm not sure that's clear, but what I mean is, do you use a scale or a spoon to measure?

Hi MB,

The scales I use have 1g graduations. 

And YF is correct, PC included teaspoon equivalents in his book....1 tsp = 5g (approximately).  Use this if you can't weigh to the required accuracy.  Simply try to keep the ratios the same....I'm sure the recipe is tolerant to a reasonable margin of error anyway.

I've revised the above recipe accordingly.

.....the total seems to be about 235 grams, not 250....

Well spotted MB!  I left out the 20g of beetroot powder and 10g of anatto seeds that PC prescribes in his book (prefering to use artificial colours instead)....I will update the above recipe accordingly.

Regards,

« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 01:25 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 01:07 AM »
I don't want to seem critical boys but Iv'e been in a BIR kitchen many times and they certainly don't use scales for weighing spices etc.....just go by TSP or TBSP or pinch.
I have said it before and I'll say it again "No recipe is set in stone they are only guidelines)

As long as you don't go excessively over or under the required spice or any ingredient if it comes to that don't worry about it
Layne

©2024 Curry Recipes