Author Topic: Tandoor vs Grill  (Read 7831 times)

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Tandoor vs Grill
« on: March 02, 2019, 02:27 PM »
I have got a Puri clay tandoor oven ( round one) which i cook chicken tikka in, i also use our electric oven on hot air grilling to do the same.
with the electric oven i place the chicken( large bitesize chunks) on skewers about 3" from the top temp at 280c for about 5 mins per side, the chicken has charring to the edges and high points but remains juicy and looks like its been in the tandoor.

Does anyone on a taste test feel confident they could tell the difference between oven / Tandoor ?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Tandoor vs Grill
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 03:24 PM »
Since I have a fan oven but not a tandoor, if you were to post your preferred chicken tikka recipe (or link to it in your reply), I would not mind trying it and letting you know whether the oven home-cooked version compares favourably with locally-available tandoor-cooked versions.

** Phil.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 05:10 PM »
Since I have a fan oven but not a tandoor, if you were to post your preferred chicken tikka recipe (or link to it in your reply), I would not mind trying it and letting you know whether the oven home-cooked version compares favourably with locally-available tandoor-cooked versions.

** Phil.

For the last two years i have been using Blade's recipe, before that it was Just Tandoori Masala /garlic/kashmire chilli powder/Yoghurt, marinaded overnight. My daughter prefers the Tandoori based one so thats what i am cooking tonight,

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 05:27 PM »
Any particular tandoori masala ?  I have Laziza tandoori spice mix paste, but I would be concerned that the finished dish might taste more like tandoori chicken than chicken tikka if I were to use that ...

FWIW. my preferred tikka and tandoori recipes are here.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 05:52 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 07:33 PM »
For the last two years i have been using Blade's recipe, before that it was Just Tandoori Masala /garlic/kashmire chilli powder/Yoghurt, marinaded overnight. My daughter prefers the Tandoori based one so thats what i am cooking tonight,

mickyp
Huge difference in taste and texture and cooking enjoyment. ;)

Nothing really compares to cooking in a real tandoor oven.
Its all in the doing and understanding what a tandoor oven is and how it functions.
Conduction, Convection, Radiant Heat, Smoking and cooking meat from the inside out, with the skewers.
All the heat transfer processes in one place/pot

Would be easy to spot non Tandoor oven versions even with these basic beginners recipes.
Any type of kebab is better from a Tandoor.
Exactly the same situation with Naan.

cheers Chewy

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 08:42 PM »

And most on here would agree.  Unfortunately, we don't all have the luxury of having a tandoor to hand in the back garden and therefore have to improvise as best as we can. Whilst not totally BIR in the absence of a tandoor, many of the recipes and cooking methods on here come a very close and more than acceptable second, whether it's tikka, tandoori chicken, sheek kebab or naan  :P

Offline Argie Bhaji

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 08:54 PM »
Just out of curiosity has anyone used an air fryer?

Andy

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 09:32 AM »

mickyp
Huge difference in taste and texture and cooking enjoyment. ;)

Its all in the doing and understanding what a tandoor oven is and how it functions.
Conduction, Convection, Radiant Heat, Smoking and cooking meat from the inside out, with the skewers.
All the heat transfer processes in one place/pot

Would be easy to spot non Tandoor oven versions even with these basic beginners recipes.
Any type of kebab is better from a Tandoor.
Exactly the same situation with Naan.

cheers Chewy

I didnt use it last year cos of things going on (DIY) this year for fun i will do a test with the family.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 09:34 AM »
Just out of curiosity has anyone used an air fryer?

Andy

I did read about someone saying with Onion Bhaji's the texture was not there.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 09:41 AM »
Any particular tandoori masala ?  I have Laziza tandoori spice mix paste, but I would be concerned that the finished dish might taste more like tandoori chicken than chicken tikka if I were to use that ...

FWIW. my preferred tikka and tandoori recipes are here.

** Phil.

KTC was the last make of powder i bought, i have never tried a variety to make a preferencial choice really.

©2024 Curry Recipes