Author Topic: A very simple and adaptable Instant Pot base gravy  (Read 8208 times)

Offline digital donkey

• Chef
    • View Profile
A very simple and adaptable Instant Pot base gravy
« on: April 17, 2019, 10:26 AM »
Although I have made plenty of different base gravies, this is a very good go-to in my opinion as it allows the ingredients in the curry preparation to speak for themselves. I believe the secret ingredient in *some* restaurants is MSG in some form (even if they don't, or won't, tell you this). It is prominent on the shelves of Indian supermarkets, is the major component of other condiments known to be used in base gravy recipes (Maggi seasoning for example) and it lifts all the flavours you put in your curry. Try it and see what you think.

The volume of water isn't all that important in the IP, as long as the resulting blend is split into 6 equal portions. This is a well-seasoned gravy so you might want to cut the salt content in your curries, according to taste.

I have acquired some recipes from a local 'posh' restaurant, which I'll post at some point. The chicken tikka is very interesting but there's also a nice desi lamb recipe, which is simpler than it sounds - although they use mustard oil, so it's hard to replicate the taste exactly without this.

INGREDIENTS:-

1kg onions (no need to chop)

60g garlic paste or whole garlic cloves
60g chopped ginger or ginger paste (or Lidl style jarred ginger strips work fine, as the vinegar cooks out)
1/2 small green pepper
420ml rapeseed oil - cold pressed has a bit more depth if you have that available
2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp msg powder
1 tsp sugar
1 very small carrot

4.5 tsps turmeric
4.5tsp bold cumin seeds
4.5tsps coriander seeds, ground coarsely in pestle and mortar

400ml water
2 tbsp tomato puree

Put ingredients in instant pot, stir and set to 25 mins. Allow to natural release.

Blend with a stick blender, split into 6 equal portions to be diluted to consistency of whole milk for each curry.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: A very simple and adaptable Instant Pot base gravy
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 10:43 AM »
What are "bold cumin seeds", DD ?
** Phil.

Offline digital donkey

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 01:07 PM »
Hi Phil,

They're not 100% necessary but East End do particularly pungent cumin seeds. I haven't tested with standard seeds but I imagine the difference isn't too great.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 02:24 PM »
OK, thanks DD.  I hadn't previously realised that cumin seeds vary considerably in pungency; perhaps this is why I find them rather too intrusive in some restaurant meals.

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 02:52 PM »
Put ingredients in instant pot, stir and set to 25 mins. Allow to natural release.

Does an instant pot act as a pressure cooker? If not I would consider 25 minutes woefully undercooked.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 02:58 PM »
Does an instant pot act as a pressure cooker ?

I think that as "Instant Pot is the No1 selling Electric Pressure Cooker in North America", the answer is probably "yes" :)
** Phil.

Offline digital donkey

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 03:24 PM »
Does an instant pot act as a pressure cooker ?

I think that as "Instant Pot is the No1 selling Electric Pressure Cooker in North America", the answer is probably "yes" :)
** Phil.

That's right. I'd say this is the equivalent to at least 90 minutes in the hob. The pressure cooker helps to infuse all the flavours and get the sort of tasty but indistinguishable taste I like in a base gravy. I didn't buy the Instant Pot just for this, but I think it's great for base gravies and one or two desi style curries that I've tried in it have also turned out great.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 10:28 PM »
Instant Pots are great, wish I

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 09:14 AM »
In my humble opinion, 25 mins is nowhere near enough, even in a pressure cooker. Instant pots are low pressure by comparison with a traditional pressure cooker.

Try 45 mins and I

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 07:09 PM »
Use mine all the time with Chewys multi cooker base. Makes a really good base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xz-x3OGXoE

©2024 Curry Recipes