Author Topic: Naans cooked on a Pizza stone  (Read 6488 times)

Offline bobsbeer

• Chef
    • View Profile
Naans cooked on a Pizza stone
« on: May 18, 2019, 09:06 PM »
Has anyone tried to cook naans or other breads on a pizza stone in the oven?  I'm thinking it would approximate a tandoor of sorts if the oven was whacked up to a high heat and then slap the bread on the stone.  Anyone tried it? 

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Naans cooked on a Pizza stone
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 10:55 PM »
No Sir.  But then I prefer chapati and paratha to naan, so have never felt the urge to cook the latter.
** Phil.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 08:04 AM »
I haven't tried it on a pizza stone. I use a Tefal non-stick crepe pan which I heat for 4-5 minutes over my highest domestic gas burner. I can have 4 naans on the plate within 5 minutes. I hope you don't mind me saying, but using a pizza stone seems a bit of a faff when decent naans can be produced quickly and easily on the stove-top.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 10:43 AM »
I tried it on one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/KitchenCraft-Flavours-Ceramic-Cutter-Pieces/dp/B0001IX0XK?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

and it was an absolute disaster, it stuck every where and burnt in places and not cooked thoroughly enough in other places, i threw the stone away because i couldn't get rid of the burnt stuff on the stone, whether it was just me or the recipe i don't know and i also used to use a large round piece of granite placed in the top of oven and heated for 20 minutes at 300C then adding some water to the one side of naan that worked but not like the tawa version.

Offline bobsbeer

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 01:09 PM »
It was just a thought.  We have a pizza stone that we use on our gas bbq while away with the caravan.  I just thought it could also cook other stuff that needed a high heat.  I must admit the stone when using it for pizza is a bit of a hit and miss with either uncooked or cremated bottoms. lol  Ours is very similar to yours Unclefrank.so glad to here it isn't just me that cremates pizzas.  ;D

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 03:41 PM »
I use happys recipe for naans, prepare in the usual way then roll out and prod fork over the whole naan then use that as my pizza base, cooking in the oven using this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grizzly-Pizza-Baking-Trays-Holder/dp/B07F9XY1D6/ref=asc_df_B07F9XY1D6/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=231986345953&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6606900365465903732&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007167&hvtargid=pla-486691219347&psc=1

Made chicken tiika using the sauce from a CTM recipe for the base on the pizza then adding chicken, coriander, little onion, grated paneer or mozzerella, Madras pizza using the sauce from a madras recipe and adding various toppings, i have some pics somewhere will try and find some out.

Offline bobsbeer

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 05:04 PM »
I would never of thought of making a Curry Pizza.  While I may like it, not sure the OH is ready for such a change from the traditional version. lol ;D  Thanks for the link as further down the page was a deep pan non stick pizza pan and OH had been looking for one of those that was also dishwasher safe.  So OH is now a happy lady.   ;D

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 04:13 AM »
I've cooked naan in the Electric Pizza cooker that looks like a flying saucer.  Pizza stone underneath and an electric grill element above.  They work out ok so a pizza stone in the oven isn't a stretch.from that. Tawa over gas is next best to tandoor.. Oven naan just never really convince me.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 11:21 PM »
Yes, I've tried a version of that which was preheating a marble chopping board in the oven on full heat, slapping the naan on it and then back in the over. Oven just doesn't get hot enough to cook quickly enough. My preferred method is to heat a non-stick frying pan on hob at full heat till it is scorching hot. Slap naan on the pan, then go over the top of the naan with a blow torch. That's the best I can manage.

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 07:17 AM »
I have tried naan on pizza stone. Result wasn't so good. Difficult to get heat from above without cracking the stone. Maybe consider a thick steel plate?

If someone is having "hit and miss" pizzas on a stone, then invest in a cheap infrared thermometer. Check temperature of stone before cooking, and remember which temperature gave the best results.

Overheating a non-stick pan releases the nasty stuff, I wouldn't do it.

©2024 Curry Recipes