Author Topic: curry leaf import  (Read 10640 times)

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
curry leaf import
« on: May 21, 2019, 05:16 PM »
when i go to my local Asian store i often look at the fresh curry leaves to see if any have chunky twigs to try and plant.
Now they only sell frozen, from what i understand there are no countries at the moment that can satisfy Eu regulations which means only frozen leaves can be imported, i wonder what the restaurants do for supplies.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: curry leaf import
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 06:54 AM »
I'm currently growing one of these - https://citruscentre.co.uk/products/indian-curry-leaf-plant. It's little more than a twig with leaves just now, so too small to harvest this year, but it should be good to go in 2020.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 08:40 AM »
Sainsburys still sell fresh ones .

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-curry-leaves-5g.

And I'm sure the Indian suppliers I use still do them in Newcastle.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 09:37 AM »
I'm currently growing one of these - https://citruscentre.co.uk/products/indian-curry-leaf-plant. It's little more than a twig with leaves just now, so too small to harvest this year, but it should be good to go in 2020.

Hi Naga, you will, i got my plant from there the same size as yours in 2015, at the end of its first growing season it got knocked into the pond by nephews playing football and had the top broken off, trust me i was not happy,

Because i kept it near the pond it got scale insect, so i cleaned them off with cotton buds and meths and moved it to the other end of the garden.

At the first sign / hint of frost it goes into the cabin overnight which is unheated apart from 2 freezers and a fridge, any nice days it comes out, tis a labour of love.

Cutting the first limb for harvest was an emotional struggle lol but now no problem, i use clean cutters.

I cut the plant back in spring and harvested all the leaves in vacuum bags i have about 6 packs,

The plant is a tad under 1 metre tall and is sprouting everywhere, last year i had my first set of berries which got knocked off by heavy rain.

Every time you water it, feed it citrus fertilizer, once a month add a tsp of epsom salts, allow the soil to dry before each watering, they don't like wet feet so make sure the soil drains well (perlite). there is a pic of mine on the curry leaf thread. if i can be of any help let me know, enjoy growing your plant, its fun
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 11:33 AM by mickyp »

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 10:52 AM »
from what i understand there are no countries at the moment that can satisfy
Eu regulations which means only frozen leaves can be imported,
i wonder what the restaurants do for supplies.
Mp, Your probably reading old media reports (2014) and in reality had little effect on my supply.

The majority of BIR do not use them!

I buy fresh curry leaves and have done since the 90s
Use what I need, then wash well, dry and freeze the rest (perfect).

Experimenting I have dried the leaves, to make into a powder.
Used the powder like I use Kasoori Methi in a dish, it is recognisable
but faint compared to the aromatics and strong flavour of fresh leaves.

cheers Chewy

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 11:43 AM »
Hi CT

Oct 2017 for any third world country and Dec 2018 for Sri Lanka, my local store always used to have curry leaves but now only offer frozen, curry leaves can be exported from those countries if frozen at the time of export.

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 01:18 PM »
Like I said old news, DEFRA implemented EU guidelines in 2014
because of a scare about citrus greening disease for UK growers. (Not many of them) :)

Had no effect on my supply of fresh curry leaves here in the North East

Ref: 2017-2018, post your newer reference material i.e. links, to back up your statement.

I would take what a shopkeeper tells me with a big pinch of salt. ;D ;D

cheers Chewy

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 02:41 PM »
Here's one  ;)EU bans Sri Lanka curry leaves

28 December 2018
The European Union has banned imports of Sri Lankan curry leaves due to 'citrus greening' bacterium.

Highlighting the large revenue Sri Lanka earned from curry leaves exports, Dr Wickramaarachchi, from Sri Lanka's National Plant Quarantine Service, said, "Based on journal reports the EU amended its rules and came up with new regulations in 2014 with regards to the potential biodiversity threats which can have an effect on other countries. Before its 2014 update was finalised, the EU found this bacterium infection among plants of the citrus family. The ban was imposed for the protection of biodiversity in those countries."

The ban comes following several weeks of political turmoil and weakening rupee.

Related Articles:
27 December 2018 : Foreign outflows leave Sri Lanka's rupee at all time low

Two,,,

EU finds Indian curry leaves

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 03:46 PM »
Reading up on the curry leaf ban, they were indeed banned from India (amongst other things )in 2014 due to the pesticides being used. Special sanctions were imposed that allowed import as long as the imported leaves had been tested and came with certification and health certificates. The 2018 bit was a review and the ban with sanctions has continued.

The topic was of interest to me as back in 2013 Newcastle had a Spice festival and hundreds of people suffered food poisoning due to raw curry leaves in a chutney.

Much more informative than newspaper reports are the horses mouth.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32018R1660&qid=1548691913982&from=EN

And a nice looking plant mickyp

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 05:55 PM »
Thanks for that Fav, never even dawned on me to eat them raw, their flavour and aroma input to chicken 65 is lovely.
my plant is growing by the day, and on the top is a clutch of berries forming.

©2024 Curry Recipes