Author Topic: What do BIRs do with the leftover excess masala/sauce from pre-cooking meat?  (Read 2972 times)

Offline peshwarinaan

• Chef
    • View Profile
I've just finished pre-cooking 3KG of lamb (using PanPot's recipe, if anyone's interested) and after removing the lamb chunks I have a good ~500ml of thick sauce left over.

It's not heavily spiced but has lots of small bits of lamb and tastes very lamby so I don't want to waste it.

What do restaurants/takeaways do with this?

Some possible ideas I've had are:

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
I have experienced the same dilemma. It is too good to throw away but there is no immediate use for it.  I have used small amounts of it in recipes instead of stock or water.  If you make your base gravies thick you can use it to thin them down before use or you could use it to start your next base gravy. Perhaps make a curry lamb flavoured soup.  You can freeze it, but in the end on occasion I have just had to accept that it is a byproduct.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
I often freeze leftover stock in ice-cube trays then chuck the cubes into a decent ziplock freezer bag. The frozen stock cubes are exellent for adding flavour to subsequent meals. I should add that before freezing I reduce the stock on the hob until it forms a thickish paste.

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Agree with the others. Freeze it in small freezer boxes.

I think lamb "stock" adds a great depth of flavour to lots of meat dishes, even if the main protein in the final dish isn't actually lamb.

Maybe even use it to replace part of the water in your next batch of base?

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
I've just finished pre-cooking 3KG of lamb (using PanPot's recipe, if anyone's interested) and after removing the lamb chunks I have a good ~500ml of thick sauce left over.

It's not heavily spiced but has lots of small bits of lamb and tastes very lamby so I don't want to waste it.

What do restaurants/takeaways do with this?

Some possible ideas I've had are:

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
This practice makes for very nice lamb dishes but it can require additional reduction else you have thin gravy. Inevitably, I found I just had excess lamb pre cook liquid and accept it for that.

Offline peshwarinaan

• Chef
    • View Profile
Mine certainly isn't watery, it's actually very thick (possibly because I pre-cooked lamb on the bone) and has thickened even more overnight. It could actually pass as a keema curry on its own, but I'll probably add some more lamb mince to it and a small amount of oil and base to make a more recognisable keema dish. I might slap it on a puri or something.

When I try things I'll report back.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
It also makes a very nice biryani rice.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
That's a very good idea SS.

©2024 Curry Recipes