Author Topic: Spice Mountain Base recipe  (Read 2343 times)

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Spice Mountain Base recipe
« on: July 26, 2019, 04:24 PM »
I was looking at a site called Spicemountain, it has a drop down recipe section in a Recipe named "Mothersauce" it states add a glug of Mustard oil.
I do use mustard oil in my tikka marinade but have never used it for base, has anyone here used it?

https://www.spicemountain.co.uk

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Spice Mountain Base recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 01:23 PM »
Haven't tried it mate.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 08:23 PM »
in my cooking lesson with Adey Payne, it was used for the tarka added to the blended onion mixture for curry gravy.To be honest it wasn't detrimental to the overall flavour, but I don't think it really added much. There is a lot of talk about mustard oil being dangerous to eat. I'm not bothered but wouldn't recommend anyone else to do it. Maybe it IS  bad stuff

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 09:48 PM »
My understanding is that mustard oil should be heated to its smoke point (circa 2500C) and then allowed to cool to the desired temperature (e.g., 1800C) before spices, etc., are added.  Current research appears to indicate that the erucic acid content is not liable to cause heart lesions as was earlier thought and may in fact provide some degree of protection against cardiovascular disease.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes